Topics

Equioxx

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

I  updated my case history to include that I started giving Micah  Equioxx daily at the end of August (surgery for torn Manica Flexoria in 2018; I can only ride her for 30 minutes under saddle at a walk).    It has been a real game changer. She is so much happier to the point that other people have remarked on it at the barn.  The two times Micah has foundered have been in December (2014 & 2015) so I worry most about her IR during this time of the year. I could take her off the Equioxx (I know the group does not recommend NSAIDS) but if there's a way to keep her on it, I'd like to. I'm wondering if the benefit is worth the risk.
--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829  .

Sherry Morse

Hi Kelly,

Dr. Kellon will no doubt be able to explain this better, but for both horses and humans there are drawbacks to long term NSAID use.  As you're not using Equioxx in an effort to treat something that won't benefit from it the circumstances are slightly different than using it to treat a laminitis episode (for example).  You would be best off discussing the risks of long term NSAID use with your vet who is most familiar with Micah's care.

Kelly Kathleen Daughtry

That's very encouraging. So long as it does not worsen her chances of foundering, I think the risks are worth it. It really does seem to be affecting her quality of life in a positive way. Thanks so much for responding!

--
Kelly & Micah, Clayton NC

April 2016

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kelly%20and%20%20Micah

Photos: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=1829  .

Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt

Hello Kelly,

I am not going to answer your question as I do not know the answer. I have a mare that's been on Equioxx for a half year or so for some unknown back issues that cause her spasms and then a light laminitis in March and possibly arthritis. I just am interested to hear you say that the group does not recommend NSAIDS and, as a newer participant, I did not know that. Can you expand on the reason and also what you think the risk is? I've been told the Equioxx (by my vet) is super safe. I also see a much happier mare like your Micah. Mine is Daisy.

I did hear about STP with the yucca and a couple other things and am considering that.

Sorry to not answer but really am interested in the reply so wanted to add my voice. I'll be interested in other's ideas.

THANK YOU!
--
-Brenda

September 2020, Dodgeville WI USA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Brenda%20and%20Stormy

Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt

Sorry - I see someone did answer. I forgot to open all messages!
--
-Brenda

September 2020, Dodgeville WI USA

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Brenda%20and%20Stormy

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

In addition to the side effects which all NSAIDs have (and are the reason why they are not supposed to be used long term), NSAID use worsens vascular problems. Read this file: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Pain%20Medication%20and%20Alternatives/Why%20NSAIDs%20&%20Icing%20Are%20Not%20Recommended%20.pdf .

The GI and circulatory toxicity is due to interference with nitric oxide production. In fact, the newest drugs in this class are combinations of NSAIDs with nitric oxide https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2582807/. Enhancing nitric oxide is what makes Jiaogulan so effective but it can't work when the NSAID is on board.

Kelly,

Do you know the nature of her current lameness? Manica flexoria surgery usually entails removal so it wouldn't be that again.   Is her ACTH controlled?

Joy V

Hi Kelly,

My experience with my horse & Equioxx was not good.  My vet prescribed it as safe him to be on indefinitely so my gelding was on a pill a day for 1 1/2 years.  It caused mouth and throat ulcers, he chewed differently because of the mouth ulcers, so it affected his TMJ negatively as well and the effectiveness seemed to wane over that time.  I took him off of it once he was DX'd with PPID/IR and my *new* vet DX'd his lameness as chronic, low-grade laminitis.  Just something to consider.

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Rose Miller

-- Quick comment on yucca, I understand it isn't recommended. maybe one without yucca?
Rose Miller in Arizona 2020

NinaJW

Dr. Kellon, would beets or beet pulp increase intake of NO? I ask based on the beet shops for humans on the market specifically intended to increase NO?
Also, on Teff hay. Apparently there’s reason to believe it blocks calcium absorption. What do you recommend to offset that possible problem? I would not be giving Jadon Teff only but adding it in a slow feeder for nightly stalling along with another net with his regular hay.
 Thanks!
--
Nina and Jadon
Kentucky 2020