Euthanasia within 24 hours

amyscrivanich

I am giving Mater her “final gift” tomorrow (24 hours from right now).   This is an odd request, but I want her to have some pasture and treats before she goes.   Would be bad to give her turnout today or at least tonight?   Euthanasia is planned for 11 am

--
Amy Scrivanich
Charlotte, NC

Jennifer Murphy

So sorry to hear you're saying goodbye, Amy.  Even when we know it's the right thing to do, it's still hard.
--
Jennifer in NH
2020

CH - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Flea

Photo album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=251041&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

Candice Piraino

HI Amy,

I am so sorry to hear that you have had to make this tough call, but as their trusted owners, sometimes making a tough call is best. My heart goes out to you!

Honestly, if she were my horse, and I have tried everything under the sun to save her, I would let her have whatever she wanted for her last final day on this Earth. I am not a vet and unsure what Dr. Kellon would say, but as a fellow horse owner, if you have already made the appointment and it is in the horse's best interest, then yes by all means give her some turnout time.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL

Shark's Case History

Shark's Photo Album

PHCP Barefoot Trimmer @www.arkhavenfarm.com

Kirsten Rasmussen

Sorry to hear that, Amy, that's a difficult decusion.  I'm not entirely sure how quickly laminitis pain can start after dietary indiscretions, but for hay changes it seems to take my horse at least 2 days.  So I don't think making her last 24 hours a pasture buffet and spoiling her a little will cause any pain before she goes.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

F Sanford

Amy my heart goes out to you and you have done everything you can, it’s never an easy call.  If she were my horse I would let her enjoy her final hours.  I would give her pain meds and turn her out 5-6 hours before the appointment.  I too, don’t know what others would do or say, I just know it’s  what I would do.   It’s what I did 20 years ago with my heart horse and I have never regretted my decision. She loved the freedom,  and I loved seeing her grazing again, we both were happy.  I will be thinking of you during this difficult time.
--
Florence in upstate NY joined September 2021

Qhgirl

Hi Amy,
You are being a great mom to Mater. I know this was a tough decision and made with love. I would let her have whatever makes her happy at this time. Let her last hours be enjoyable and let her have pain meds so she does not have pain
i have had to make the same decision for some of mine in the past. Bush her, kiss her, talk to her and tell her what is happening. She will understand. Hugs.

Janet and Chicy
Chester SC
09/17/2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Janet%20and%20Chicy

Erica Reimers

Hi Amy,
I'm so very sorry you are having to make that tough decision.  ❤. I would give her banamine and let her enjoy herself. Treats and some nice alfalfa if you have it. Maybe a nice bath before turnout so she will enjoy a good "get dirty" again roll.
Sending lots of hugs from myself and my gelding, Snap. ❤

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 8:03 AM amyscrivanich via groups.io <amyscrivanich=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I am giving Mater her “final gift” tomorrow (24 hours from right now).   This is an odd request, but I want her to have some pasture and treats before she goes.   Would be bad to give her turnout today or at least tonight?   Euthanasia is planned for 11 am

--
Amy Scrivanich
Charlotte, NC
Nov 2004 (my original PPID horse passed in 2015)
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Amy%20and%20Mater%20the%20mini

Erica H CA 2021

Bobbie Day

Oh Amy,

What a agonizing decision this is, I’m sorry your having to go through this, it’s so hard. But I would (also) say if she were mine I would  spoil her, love on her, get those pictures, take some hair before the time comes because you won’t want to do it afterwards. We all know how much you must love her to give her this final gift. I would personally let her have anything and all she wants. Send her on her way with your love and her favorite things.
thinking of you both.
--
Bobbie and Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)
Utah, Nov 2018

Kandace Krause

Amy, I know this is now after the fact, but I hope you did as was suggested.  I had this call one month ago have no pasture to give her but took her down to a sand pit for a good scratchy roll, didn't give her her last 24 hrs meds (the Previcox seemed to have little effect on her arthritis anyways).  As she was sedated she stood balanced only on the tip toe of her bad leg which showed me she would never have survived another winterin any comfort.  It was hard but she showed me it was right.

--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020

Cindy Giovanetti

I love the idea of turning your laminitic horse out to graze for her final day.  That just brings tears to my eyes to think about.

I hope it went well.  God bless.

Cindy

--
Cindy, Oden, and Eeyore, North Texas
On ECIR protocol since 2/19

Nancy C

When I knew I had to let Beau go (2016), after 13 years of good management from what has been learned here, I let him have weeks of grass.

He had a very tight trim which supported him.

He was fine.

Sending you all the best in this difficult time.
--
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21