Excessive salt block consumption

apschrock@...

<< since I can't trust her with a
block,
should I give her oral electrolytes instead? Diann >>

Hi, Diann,

I don't know why they eat so much salt, but I hand-feed mine ... I put loose
salt (just plain white table salt in our case) in a corner of their feed box
after giving htem their grain. Then I feed my beef calves and come back and
let the horses out. So they have a few minutes to lick the salt up.

HOpe someone else knows about the salt. I wonder if it's because they drink
and pee so much with the illness. Strider stopped drinking so much once her
cypro kicked in.

Good luck with your horse
Ann & Strider (Indiana)

Diann

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but since I'm a new member
I'd
like to know just the same. Why do Cushings horses consume salt
excessivly? My 23yr old App. mare was just diagnosed in Feb of this
yr. She ate-yes I mean ate- a whole 50lb trace mineral salt block in
a very short time. I have never seen anything like this in my twenty
some years of owning horses. And since I can't trust her with a
block,
should I give her oral electrolytes instead? Diann

pennbo@...

HI Diann, I don't know that Cushings horses consume more salt
than others but I do know that their mineral requirements are
different than other horses. My mare ignores her salt block and
loose salt completely but when given access to a free choice
mineral system literally licks the A and B mixes clean! You might
consider trying to give her access to a variety of hays and grains
or good grazing (a little at a time) so she can pick what she
needs.
Good luck,
Chris

-----

[...]

Susan Laflamme <f4mlatir@...>

Hi Diann, My horse has never paid much attention to her salt block.
Sue

At 05:56 PM 9/1/00 -0000, you wrote:
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but since I'm a new member
I'd
like to know just the same. Why do Cushings horses consume salt
excessivly? My 23yr old App. mare was just diagnosed in Feb of this
yr. She ate-yes I mean ate- a whole 50lb trace mineral salt block in
a very short time. I have never seen anything like this in my twenty
some years of owning horses. And since I can't trust her with a
block,
should I give her oral electrolytes instead? Diann

Equine Cushings email addresses:

Post message: EquineCushings@...

Subscribe: EquineCushings-subscribe@...

Shortcut URL to this page: