Exercise and eldery horses

Claire Belo

Dear all,
Exercise is the key point in managing IR/EMS horses. But how do you managed exercise by eldery horses?
My pony is now 29 y.o. and has lost a lot of energy this summer during the unusual heatwave. She still enjoy walking ( I walk also) but is tired after about 30 mn gentle walk.
Is it okay for the metabolism to walk less?
What are your recommandation for eldery horses?
P.S: she is quite difficult with the vet and doesn't tolerate any more blood collection...
Thank you for your help!
Best regards
Claire
--
Claire and Flora
Switzerland

Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Claire%20and%20Flora
Photos:

Trisha DePietro

Hi Claire. I took a look at your case history and films. While not current, I can see that Floras toes were very long in 2019. And your insulin was high at 146 back in 2019. I understand she is unwilling to allow more testing. It appears she was not tested for PPID. Because of her history and lack of current information, you could only assume that she is footsore. Your issue is not exercise. Its insulin control. High insulin = sore feet. So, I would recommend getting her tested again...IR and PPID- repeat hoof xrays- so you know what you are actually dealing with. But if thats not possible, I'd go back to the emergency diet, make sure her trim is tight and apply boots to support her. I'd hold off on hand walking until you have those measures in place. Then see how she does.

Exercise is NOT important when you don't have insulin controlled and horses are footsore.
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

How difficult exercise is depends on the strength and physical fitness of the horse. Your goal is a pulse rate of approximately 100. You can take the pulse from the branch of the facial artery that runs over the lower jaw https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H60WYFaAlZ8/hqdefault.jpg . Press firmly along the edge of the bone and you will feel a round structure about the size of a pencil. That is the artery.

Claire Belo

Thank you very much Trisha for your answer. I'm sorry to be to incompetent with computer to be abble to complet her file case history.
I understand your point of view that without numbers and pictures you can not answer.
Flora has been tested already twice for PPID and was always negative.
I will not retest her for any thing now, because she let nobody else than me touching her on the "neck" ( where the jugulairs vein). For the same reason, there will be no rad done anymore. No vet can approch her without sedation, no farrier can take her feet anymore without she becomes wild, urinates, screams and try to hit with the four legs at the same time the farrier.
She has lost 3 size of hoof boot since 2019. She has no skin issues any more, looks 10 years younger as before,  is happy, trotting on her field... but is getting old.
Thank you for your comprehension.
--
Claire and Flora
Switzerland
April 2019

Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Claire%20and%20Flora
Photos:

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Claire,

It sounds like you are managing Flora as best as you can and she's doing well, just aging.  Maybe there are other health-related factors that are making her lethargic, but if you can't have a vet to look into it, then keeping her comfortable as long as possible is the only goal.  If she's lost 3 boot sizes since 2019, that is a lot but I presume it's because her trim is better.

If you find she becomes footsore, you can go back to tightening up her diet, soaking hay, etc, which has a tremendous impact even without exercise.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History