Fact Files

Makyla Waters <twolegged@...>

Hi Robin and thanks again for starting this list! (sorry I couldn't
remember your name the other day and just referred to you as 'list owner' or
something like - how rude! and lazy...) Anyway thanks again. I think
collecting facts from everyone on the list would be great. I was thinking
of the same thing. My vet seems competent, but doesn't want to listen to my
concerns about what may have set off his sudden drinking/peeing episode
(which is lessening). From your remarks, and others, it sounds like the
recent addition of A&M to add calories and make his bute more acceptable may
be the reason. I have to get his blood work numbers from her, but she
didn't think the sugar was an issue. I've been blaming the bute, but maybe
it is the sugar. I'm very worried about him because he seems on a downward
slide (just seems older to me these days) and my vet's advice doesn't always
make sense. Am I rambling?

Facts I'd love to see collected: blood work numbers and clinical signs for
whatever our vets have used to monitor Cushings; diet changes recommended
and why; sequence of clinical signs in our horses; meds used and dosages.

Maybe we could come up with a questionnaire and could post them along with a
summary. Maybe it would not only provide info for us, but for some research
down the road.

I want to send all my best thanks to all of you taking such good care of
your elderly friends. I was recently told that my guy is getting down to
the soft part of his teeth and I needed to start watching for him losing the
ability to eat stemmy hay and that within 5 years he probably wouldn't have
any teeth to chew with. I didn't ask how much he could survive past that...
I know they can go along on wet hay cubes for some time, but he's only
around 20 right now...

Take care, Makyla & 4-legged friends

Kay Howitt <akkray@...>

Hi Makyla and All...good luck with your horse. I am sure you are quite worried
about his decline in condition. My 22 yr. old guy does not eat the stemmy pieces
of timothy any longer, but he still eats the soft brome hay I bought to feed my
Icelandic. The brome is not as nutritious, but I also feed Eq. Sr. and oil and I
fed a little bit of soaked alfalfa cubes (1-2#/day) for a couple of weeks to put
back on some weight lost during a stressful event. I don't know if the stress or
the alfalfa caused the laminitis, though...and I won't feed alfalfa unless I
have no other choice. There may be some choices for your horse as he loses his
chewing ability. I think people can get pretty resourceful when they have to.
Good luck! Kay in AK