Topics

Falki's Recent Blood Work - Request Feedback

Connie Proceviat

Hi Dr. Kellon and All,

I received Falki's recent blood work and would appreciate your thoughts.

He does well during the warmer spring/summer/fall months and is currently doing well. However, he was lame last winter during the coldest months similar to how he has been in previous winters.

I recently updated his case history so information should be very close to current. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

Thank you in advance,
--
Connie Proceviat
2013 Manitoba, Canada

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

ACTH is considerably higher than it was at this time 5 years ago. The safest course would be to start Prascend now then taper off after it starts to warm up and retest. Alternatively, you could retest late November, early December to see if he needs it. Insulin isn't high enough at the moment to trigger an acute flare up of laminitis but he likely does have smoldering damage that can lead to that cold sensitivity. Do you use Jiaogulan and AAKG then?

Connie Proceviat

Good Morning Dr. Kellon,

I will start him on Prascend ASAP. When I tried it in the past, he was already sore when I began. Would it have any affect on his lameness if started prior to being sore?
I give him Jiaogulan in his feed year around but haven't given AAKG in a long while. Should I try adding AAKG as well during the cold weather?
Interestingly, his hooves are no longer cold to the touch like they were when we first started the ECIR protocol so we have made progress in that regard.
Thank you for your feedback.