Feeding and Labs Blood Draw question - Invokana

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hey all,  something i have been pondering now for a bit and it may be a dumb question, but, I thought I would ask.

So for those of us in medications to control insulin response  like one of the --flozin drugs, wouldn't it be prudent to see what the lab results are when eating a diet that is more consistent with what they are eating throughout the day?

I pontificate that if any insulin response over 80 puts a horse at risk for laminitis, wouldn't we want to know the insulin result after feeding the higher carb meals to adjust for tryglicerides vs feeding just hay to see if the -flozin drug is controlling the insulin throughout the day?

My thoughts around this came about after my last labs came in with an insulin increase of 70 points-- from 30 to 103--but in hindsight, I had forgotten to remove a bucket of stabul 1 with some other left over cavalor fiber force.

I am planning labs for next Tuesday and I wanted to see what you all thought if I should just stick with the standard hay routine?

Thanks Nan
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Hi Nancy,

You still want to avoid testing during the expected insulin spike after eating which I think is what you're saying happened the last time you tested.

Kirsten Rasmussen

It depends on what you want out of the blood test.  Do you want to be able to compare "apples to apples" with previous results?  Then stick with hay only.  From the perspective of managing the medication, I think you'd want to keep all testing conditions as similar as possible.  But if you are curious and want to see how the other feeds are affecting insulin, then test 4 hours after one of those meals.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Sherry Morse

Hi Marie,

1 - you are a member of the group, if you weren't you wouldn't be able to read messages:

2 - As per the information on the website (https://www.ecirhorse.org/DDT+E-diagnosis.php

If you know your horse is actually eating all night and not fasted then you can have the blood drawn at 9am.

On Friday, August 5, 2022 at 08:55:08 AM EDT, Marie Welch <mwelch@...> wrote:

Hi Sherry, I am not a member but I do read ECIR emails and have learned a lot!   I'm not certain about the consensus re: fasting before blood work.  If my horse has a free choice forage-only diet all night and his blood draw (ACTH and Insulin) is scheduled for 9:00 a.m., then I shouldn't have to do anything?
Thanks Marie