Topics

Fescue Hay and the ECIR Horse?

Firstqualityhay@...

What is your opinion of fescue hay?  I’m not talking about endophyte free, but a 100% endophyte infected Kentucky 31 fescue.

I understand endophyte infected fescue can cause issues for pregnant mares (and hoof issues in cattle), but what about horses and especially metabolic challenged horses?

I’ve seen some recent ads in search of fescue and had a few inquiries for it.  I think the potential end customer perceives fescue as “low sugar” hay, and it may be, but is endophyte infected fescue a desired grass hay for horses?

We’ve never grown fescue, maybe we should or maybe not?

The ECIR horse and fescue, do they mix?

Thanks!
Bill J in VA
--
Bill J. in VA 2020
FirstQualityHay.com

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Bill,

It's not a good idea:

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/255220?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,fescue+%2B+eleanor,20,2,0,76981839

These horses have compromised hoof health to varying extents and adding to that needs to be avoided.

Firstqualityhay@...

Dr. Kellon,

Thanks much for the advice and links regarding fescue.

Much appreciated!

Bill
--
Bill J. in VA 2020