FFWS Soaked Hay

Corina Ryan

Hello,

I am very new to this experience, my mini appears to have IR and to be suffering from laminitis. The vet is scheduled to come today. I have noticed that she has been having poo freeze to her tail and seems to be having some FFWS symptoms such as passing gas more often and when she does a small amount of liquid comes out. Has anyone heard of this happening from soaking hay specifically? Should I switch her to a chopped feed such as safe starch? I am trying to find tested hay in my area which is proving to be a challenge.

Thank you,
--
Corina Ryan
New Hampshire

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Definitely not Safe Starch but TC has timothy balance cubes in their Naturals line and those are safe.

www.drkellon.com  BOGO 2 for 1 Course Sale Through End of January

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Corina, I have not heard of soaked hay causing FFW, but anything that affects the gut is a possible contributor.  Here's some articles with ideas you can try:
https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/tag/free-fecal-water/

--
Kirsten and Shaku (EMS + PPID) and Snickers (EMS) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Snickers' Case History