Fizzie Iris update and query about Ert..Flozin EMS drug

Mandy Charmam

Hello all

Just to advise you last night we had to put Fizzie to sleep. While he was still perky in himself, he was in lots of pain and his most badly effected near fore hoof was detaching. I just couldn't bare seeing him in such pain any more. Thnak you all for the advice up to this point.

On another note, Fizzie along with my Clydie X, Hengi, were put on the ert..flozin drug. It has hugely improved by clydie's weight and movement.

Last week though he came down with an infection (colic like symptoms with blood test that showed infection.). Apparently the vet said this is a side effect of the Ert.flozin and the vet then said to immediately take him off it. I am concerned that taking him off anything so rapidly may have other ill effects. The vet though says  its OK. I wanted to check whether this is the case. Hengi is still not 100 %. Having taken a course of intermuscular antibiotics, I am now giving him oral antibiotics.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  I assumed you might have resources on Ert.floxin but I couldn't find any of them.

Dr Kellon also suggested testing him for cushings, which I am yet to do. he has none of the curly, non-shedding hair symptoms but apparently they can have it withiout this. Any furtther comments on this woudl be appreciated.

warmest regards

Mandy
--
Mandy C, Macedon Australia, 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Mandy%20and%20Fizzie

Nancy C

Hi Mandy

I am so very sorry to learn about Fizzie. Fly free, sweet one.

Need to get Dr Kellon involved on the infection issue. I did find one message referencing a urinary tract infection possible with increase glucose in the urine brought on by the drug.

Hope you will test Hengi.  Now is a good time for you folks entering spring.  In order for the drug to work, PPID needs to be controlled.
--
Nancy C in NH

The -flozin drugs cause glucose loss in the urine, which makes it an ideal culture medium. Colic can be a sign but much more common would be dropping the penis to urinate but only dribbling, stretching out in the pose to urinate without urinating. You may see blood in the urine or unusual cloudiness or odor. It cannot be diagnosed from a blood test. Urinalysis has to be done.

This would be the first case in four years of following horses on -flozin drugs but it is why we suggest all owners of horses/ponies etc on -flozin drug buy urine test strips and use them every two weeks or whenever the signs above are noticed. The test for white cells isn't reliable in horses but protein will go up with infection and if you can catch a sample for urinalysis take that to your vet.

Mandy,

The coat changes are the very last sign to appear and signify a very advanced case.  Many other things can happen before that - new allergies, frequent infections, unexplained tendon and ligament issues, fall laminitis.

Is unusual attractiveness to flies feature of PPID?

--
Gail Russell 8/30/2008

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Gail%20and%20Brother%20-%20Odin%20-%20Decaffe%20%20-Gunthar .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Gail,

No, not as far as we know.

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

So sorry to hear about Fizzie, Mandy.  You did your best for him.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Bobbie Day

I’m so sorry for your loss of Fizzie Mandy. My thoughts are with you.
--

Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie