Flame’s latest labs

On 6/13 I drew labs from Flame. These are 2 months post starting Invokana. Labs were sent to Cornell because it was actually more cost efficient than having them run at the local lab. I drew labs at 8am & he’d probably had his previous day’s dose between 8-8:30am. I gave the 6/13 dose after I drew labs. Results- BUN 20 mg/dl, creatinine 1.0 mg/dl, triglycerides 449 mg/dl & insulin 94.14 uIU/ml.

I believe Flame’s case history is up to date, but if not here is a refresher. Flame is on 4# of Bermuda & 3# of TC Timothy balance cubes twice a day. My hay is high in nitrates. Flame gets a total per day of 3 pounds RSR beet pulp with Horsetech custom mix, L- carnitine, j herb, salt, flax oil, AAKG & liquid vitamin E mixed in. He is currently on 3mg of Pergolide & 225mg if Invokana daily. Clinically he is sound, pulses are back to normal & bored from not working. He has a mist system set up & running in his stall during the day & will get the swamp cooler set up when our temps stop dipping into the 90s & stay in the 100+. Please advise.
--
Beth & Flame dx 2013 & Diana dx 2020

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Diana Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Beth%20and%20Diana

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Since he was due for his next dose, you have a worst case scenario on the results. Cornell also runs high on insulin. If he will eat it, I'd like to increase his BP to 4 lbs and add an extra pound of cubes to each feeding. Keep Invokana dose the same. Make sure he is eating at least 2 oz of salt with his food and have it available free choice.

Have you been checking his urine? Were triglycerides tested in May? When was the May sample pulled relative to his last dose?

Thank you for the reply Dr. Kellon. I will increase his feed as you suggested. He is currently getting 1.5 oz to f salt in his beet pulp, 1.5 oz on his hay & had a white salt block that he won’t touch (even with taste tempters). I have been clean catching & checking his urine every 2 weeks (no ketones since the clean catching started). I made a result sheet & will post it in Flame’s history. In May triglycerides were 555. The May sample was pulled about 8am & Invokana given after. Invokana is normally given 8-8:30am & I’ve been drawing labs prior. Should I do it like I do my Pergolide labs- give the meds & keep food in front of him until I draw blood 4 hours after? I wasn’t planning on drawing more blood until the fall (after I switch to the fall dose of 5mg of Pergolide). Should I still be doing no forced exercise? He’s sound & bored. Please advise & thanks in advance!
--
Beth & Flame dx 2013 & Diana dx 2020

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Diana Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Beth%20and%20Diana

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'd like to see his triglycerides without it being at the very end of the last dose before deciding on exercise. If you could repeat just the TG on the same routine as used for insulin that would be a big help in guiding regarding exercise. Also let me know what you have in mind.

I just uploaded all of Flame’s urine dip results into his photo file. I will give Invokana & food & then draw another triglyceride after the holiday weekend. Exercise wise I was thinking of some short trail rides around the neighborhood (walking) & possible a day or 2 per week of light w/t/c with a bareback pad in the arena- no more than 15 minutes. Thanks!