Flavored metformin through Wedgewood pharmacy

Dorothy Marsh

They are located in the USA. They sell flavored metformin powder, paste, and oil. My pony hates the taste of crushed pills. Anyone tried the flavored med from Wedgewood?  Was it more palatable?

Thanks
--
Dorothy Marsh, NY, USA. 2022

Anthie Booras

I’ve gotten a quote for flavored paste and it was some insane amount like $50+/day so I said no thanks. Not sure what the flavored powder might run. I tried some flavored powder from a local compounding pharmacy and I think it was about $100 for a months supply but she still wouldn’t eat it.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Erin's case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anthie%20and%20Erin/

Dorothy Marsh

Wow. That’s expensive. Plain pill metformin is cheap!!!  I didn’t ask them what their price was. I think I should have. I’ll have to call back. Interesting though that your horse still wouldn’t eat it. That’s too bad
--
Dorothy Marsh, NY, USA. 2022

Maxine McArthur

Hi Dorothy
Most people do need to syringe the metformin. There’s more info in the ‘Metformin’ folder in the Files, and lots of suggestions in the messages if you do a search.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

Anthie Booras

Wedgewood won’t give you a quote on the cost unless your vet has sent them a prescription. I’ve tried. My vet got back to me with that estimate.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Erin's case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anthie%20and%20Erin/

Dorothy Marsh

I discovered that when I called them back later. Tricky how they won’t even tell me how much it is. Im
--
Dorothy Marsh, NY, USA. 2022

misglen

Dorothy I soak Max’s metformin in a small amount of water, I do them one feed ahead, so they sit there and soak for around 12 hours.  It softens the outer coating and I can then mush them up easily and I then put a raspberry fruit teabag in it for 5 mins, they have no sugar, just a little Stevia, but they smell lovely and sweet and fruity and they turn it into Metformin tea, which I then pour on Max’s feed.  He gobbles it up thinking it’s a huge treat.
--
Michelle & Max
Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia