Flaxseed Availability/Price

Starshine Ranch

Has anyone else noticed the HUGE price increase and lack of availability in Flax Seeds or stabilized ground flaxseed?
Or is it just California?
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Donna Powell

Oh yeah. HUGE! South Carolina.

On Mon., 17 Jan. 2022 at 13:55, Starshine Ranch
<Linda@...> wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the HUGE price increase and lack of availability in Flax Seeds or stabilized ground flaxseed?
Or is it just California?
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Joy V

Yes, I have.  I asked my feed store owner and he said it's because humans are consuming more flaxseed and flaxseed products and it's resulting in supply issues for livestock.  You may want to take that info with a large grain of salt though.

I've been having issues sourcing flaxseed for a little over a year now and the price has definitely increased.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

ferne fedeli

Wow!  I hadn't noticed and in checking back, I see the Triple Crown Naturals Golden Flax that I use went up $12 since I last bought it about 6 months ago!!!  Yikes!!!  Lots of things are going up in leaps and bounds these days!  A couple of different toiletry items I use have also gone up $10 and $12.  Horrible.
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

Point Arena, Mendocino County, California
Case History

feed store where I was paying $29 (up from $25, up from $20) is now charging $43.95!

Tractors Supply said they could get it for right at $39.  So they ordered it for me a few days ago.  WHEN it comes in (IF it comes in...)

If they fail, I'm going to order a 50# bag from one of the growers, and package and freeze it in my large chest home freezer...

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

Starshine Ranch

That's what I just paid at TSC but I prefer to get seeds and grind my own... The 50# bag of seeds from Bar Ale that I used to pay $40 for is now $80!!!!
--
Linda in CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

rhohil

I come from an area where a great portion of where your flaxseed will come from and the whole area has experienced drought conditions for 2 to 3 years.
That means that yields have been low and stockpiles are becoming depleted.
In a system in which  supply and demand determines pricing  this will mean increasing prices across the board will be the norm until, and if, the supply increases.
--
Rhonda in Sask 2021

Thanks for sharing that piece of information, Rhonda.   I think you’ve explained it perfectly!  I haven’t given much thought to where flax is grown commercially and it’s helpful to see it as part of a larger picture.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

jmc

Yea. I can't remember what I paid last for TC Golden Flax (a bag lasts me a long time), but it was just shy of $39 yesterday. I usually only buy one, but decided to err on the side of caution and bought two bags. A local feed store is the only place I've been able to find it locally without special ordering - I do have to special order the Timothy Balance Cubes (doubled that order as well, I expect the price will continue to go up there as well).

--
Jodi
June 2018

Yankee Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jodi%20and%20Yankee

Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=54386

celestinefarm

Prices are going to go up and stay up. It's not just the drought, it is trucking also. Cross border trucking is a mess right now with the new vaccination requirements for truckers crossing on both sides of the border. My understanding is that is affecting Canada already with shortages since Canada imports a lot of food and produce from and through the USA. Conversely, products such as hay cubes and flax are also going to be affected coming south. Trucking companies are looking at 35% reduction in their workforce that is qualified to cross the border. I would not plan to buy cubes from Canada or Flax a bag or two at a time right now. I would make sure I had at least 2 months worth of product on hand at all times.
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History