Topics

Gas colic remedies or preventstives

Tara Smith

-- I have a pony that does seem to get a gas bubble episode evey so often .We do antacids and banamine.I would like to know if there is a preventative option or if our horses can have Gas X .Or anyrhing I can add to diet to keep gas away?
Tara and Gavilon
Mass.  Nov 2017
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Tara%20and%20Gavilon

celestinefarm

Tara, I personally like adding a daily probiotic with psyllium. I'm currently using Arenus's product Assure Guard Gold. It is expensive, and I'm using it on all three of my horses.  I like it because it has actually been researched and has study results. I don't believe it has had any effect on insulin despite it's claims, at least with my group. But I find it seems to keep the gut on an even keel. I have spoken to the reps there and their opinion is that psyllium helps to provide nutrition to the gut lining which a healthier gut is better equipped to move sand , etc. out of the gut . They do not believe that psyllium itself is capable of encapsulating sand and moving it out in a gel mass.  A healthier gut also will digest food more effectively producing less gas.

Uckele also has plain psyllium and it can be combined with one of their probiotic products to use to mimic Assure Guard Gold.  My opinion is that any of these products needs to be used daily, that the once a month use is not nearly as effective and it breaks the no sudden change in feed rule.

I also caution people to be aware of how many probiotics your horse is actually consuming before adding more.  Check your supplements and feed if using a commercial feed. Too many probiotics can create gas . Has your pony had his teeth checked to make sure he can chew well? Also, legumes such as clover in grass or hay can cause gas if they get a patch of it in a flake.

https://arenus.com/assure-guard-gold/#product-tab-description

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Tracy

Salsa had a gas colic a few years back and my vet said I could give him Gas-X when I noticed it but to still call vet out. Of course.

The Gas-X would just provide a bit of relief while waiting on the vet to arrive.  He told me for Salsa at about 830 lbs he could have 8 chewables (which I keep in my barn first aid kit).

At the time he thought Salsa had likely run out of hay for too long - but after spending more time on this group I am not convinced of that.
Not sure about prevention.

What actually and truly causes a gas colic?
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Tracy's dose of 1 tablet of Gas-X per 100 lbs is what most vets recommend. It will work immediately for stomach gas but takes a while to reach the hind gut. In humans and dogs/cats it can be used 2 to 4 times a day. No known side effects but don't give with medications.

"Gas" colic is a bit of a catch-all term for a nonsurgical colic. Another term is spasmodic colic. Poor gut motility may allow gas to build up in a segment, causing pain. Light exercise like walking or lunging usually resolves it.

Diet changes, including in hay, can cause it probably through altered fermentation patterns. I've been suspicious of organic hay preservatives on several occasions. Parasites, especially tapeworms, may be to blame.

LJ Friedman

Thank you for commenting on the gas colic. I know my vet suggest Banamine  and walking. Do you suggest the Gas-X tablets in addition to banamine ? dont use the banamine?? Thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

LJ Friedman

many different doses of gas x  ..  80 mg, 125 mg, 180 mg, 250 mg.   correct mg for typical 500 kg horse?  thanks

Jesse and majestic ‘s Case History
Jesse's Photos

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

125 mg tabs.