Gas colics

Dancer's Mom

Sorry it’s been a while since I posted and updated things on Dancer.  Things are crazy…. But Dancer seems to slowly be getting better.  Thanks for your help and guidance. Dancer has had gas colic April 20 and just this past Sunday. The only thing I’ve changed, is that Dancer is on Lamin Ox and instead of LMF Low Carb Complete, I’ve replaced that with soaked pest pulp. Any thoughts on gas colic?  Maybe not, but I’m trying to figure out why, if I can. Vet things maybe heat cycle.  But it’s never happened with Dancer.
also the last time Dancer’s hooves we’re x-rayed was 6 months ago.  Would it be helpful to get more x-rays, soon?  Would it show progress of laminae healing and to see if things are going the right direction?  I’ll also post newer blood work results, as soon as I can. Thanks again for all your help.
--
Patti
Northern California 2021

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There is nothing in LaminOX to cause colic. How quickly did you make the change over in feeds? There are a few horses that don't do well on beet pulp but there is beet pulp in the LMF and if she was tolerating that well her microflora should have been good for handling beet pulp. Ovaries definitely a possibility. Keep track of dates of colic and being in season.

More radiographs is never a bad thing!

Starshine Ranch

Hi Patti,
My Midnight is very prone to gas colic... twice and had to go to Loomis both times.  She had a dorsal displacement both times and almost died the second time.  So, to avoid colic in the future, I started free feeding her and she has not colic'd since.  Don't know how serious Dancer's were, but just thought I should pass that on in case it continues for Dancer.  (Midnight also gets some beet pulp as a carrier for her supplements.)
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Linda,

Just for clarity's sake - a colic due to dorsal displacement is NOT a gas colic.

Glad that Midnight has been doing better.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

celestinefarm

Lavinia,
Dorsal displacement colics are often caused because of gas buildup. So technically, they are usually a gas colic that progresses to displacement. I believe that is what was meant by gas colic/dorsal displacement.  Juniper had to have surgery to correct a nephrosplenic ligament entrapment ( a displacement) caused by gas buildup from grazing on fresh clover.  The following explains this issue and it's treatment well.Gas colics and Displacements – Large Animal Surgery – Supplemental Notes (umn.edu)
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Starshine Ranch

Thank you, Dawn... that's exactly right.
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Dancer's Mom

Thank you all for your feedback.  It really helps us.