Getting into semantics

A discussion on Facebook prompted this question. If (endocrinopathic) laminitis is not inflammatory, why is it called laminitis? Being that ‘-itis’ refers to inflammation.
--
-Olivia
May 2021, Bemidji, Minnesota

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Because it hasn't been given another name yet. The -itis part originates primarily from observations of the after effects - heat, pain, bounding pulses - but those are a reaction to the damage, not the primary cause. The inflammation is a clean-up reaction. It should be called something like laminopathy.

To add to Dr. Kellon's explanation the 'larger' (and I put that in quotes because it's the best term I can come up with this early in the morning) issue is that changing a name of something like this is like turning a glacier - it's going to take a very long time and possibly a whole generation of vets/textbooks/professors/owners to change the name to something that's more specific to what it actually is vs. using a term that describes the symptoms based on what used to be known.

It's come up a few times on the ECIR Facebook page as well and we are in agreement it's not the best name given our knowledge now but it's what the world is used to.