Giving Invokana

Gymah

What is the best way to give Invokana? Can it be crushed and given in a syringe? Is it caustic like Metformin/ does milk of magnesia have to be used as a carrier?
--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:

Helene, did you and your veterinarian get the critical background information from Dr Kellon?
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Gymah

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

My mare eats her Invokana tablet easily  in a small handful of supplement. I haven’t had a single rejection. I snap the whole tablet in half so it’s basically the same size as the supplement. I know you don’t have access to Stabul1, but that’s what I use to hand feed any medication.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

Flame eats it in a small handful of his treats. I alternate between unsalted pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds & split green peas. I just put the pill & his Pergolide capsule on the top of the small handful & he gobbled it right down.
--
Beth & Flame dx 2013 & Diana dx 2020

NV Oct 2013

Flame Case History

Flame Pictures

Diana Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Beth%20and%20Diana

Gymah

Is it typically only given once a day, or is splitting the dose to give twice a day better?
--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helene%20and%20Rosie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Once a day.

Gymah

Does it matter if it’s given at the same time as Prascend?

Is there any contraindication to crushing it and giving it in a syringe?
--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helene%20and%20Rosie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Helene,

No problem with giving with Prascend and if syringe works best for you that's OK too.

Gymah

My pony is currently on Metformin (with uncontrolled insulin). I've been waiting on the blood results to see about starting Invokana, and unfortunately they just came back with a high triglyceride result (I don't know the exact number - waiting on the test to be sent over to me). Because of this my vet doesn't want to start her on Invokana for fear of causing liver and/or kidney damage (apparently he talked to a vet who is involved in a clinical trial with Invokana in horses, and he recommended that my pony not have Invokana as well).

Definitely disappointing

--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helene%20and%20Rosie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

We can help you try to get the triglycerides down. What is the current diet? Have you see the posts about L-carnitine?

Also read this study and send it to your vet https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23663085/ .

Gymah

Soaked Timothy (hay analysis is in my photo album). She gets 3 flakes a day in a hay net (not sure on lbs). She also gets 1.5 cups (before soaking) of the Ontario dehydrated timothy balance cubes with flax, J-herb, and MadBarn Aminotrace. She doesn't really like this though (she has never been a fan of beetpulp or hay cubes), so sometimes she eats it, and sometimes she doesn't, or she'll just eat some of it.

She's a really good weight (with ribs slightly visible and the fat pads on her rump are gone, and the ones on her shoulders are getting smaller. I think her crest is maybe even starting to get a bit smaller too).

I doubt she'll eat L-carnitine. She's a picky eater and its hard to get her to eat anything consistently (unless it's really high in starch/ sugar).
--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helene%20and%20Rosie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

OK. Need you to actually weigh what she is getting. If you can't get the carnitine into her you could always syringe it.

I'm not sure if this information is still current but if you can get soy hulls that will solve your palatability problem https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9d%20Country%20Specific%20Information/Canada/Soy%20Hulls.pdf .

Gymah

I just got the blood results. Triglycerides are 1.97 mmol/L (reference range 0.09-0.58).
Is this very elevated?
--
Helene A. in BC 2021
Photo album:
Case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Helene%20and%20Rosie

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

That is a mild to moderate elevation. I'm sure if they were checked routinely we would find a lot more horses in that category.