Goodbye Millionairess

millionairess1989

I didn't expect today to start out the way it did.

Mill was dead behind the barn when I went out to feed this morning. She had fallen at some point during the night or early morning, so hard that she dented the heavy metal of the barn wall. I don't know if her pacemaker finally ran out of battery and her heart gave out or she had a sycopal episode and her neck broke during the fall. Whatever happened seems to have mercifully been quick as there were no signs of a struggle or any outward signs of trauma.

So much has happened during our 33 years together. Mill and I met during my basic horse training class at Scottsdale Community College in 1989 when she was about 7 months old. It was love at first sight for me when I picked her out of a group of foals with whom to work at Tom Chauncey Arabians. I repeated the same class the following year just to be with her and she finally came up for sale.

Mill and I competed in mini and “A” circuit shows in Arabian halter, Native Costume and Hunter Under Saddle. We finally learned side saddle together, a lifelong dream of mine. 2000 brought us cross country from AZ to TN. We rode at the KY Horse Park during Ride Aside in 2004 where we won first place for our Elizabethan habit and barding in the Most Beautiful Costume class. Mill was always the picture of elegance no matter the costume, be it medieval, Elizabethan or Arabian, always covered in bells and tassels.

She survived her 3rd degree AV block diagnosis, collapse and shock in a trailer on the way to Ohio State University and first pacemaker implant in 2007. We found ourselves here in 2010 when PPID & IR came, followed by a second pacemaker in 2011. Were she a cat, she'd be on her 3rd or 4th life.

No one thought that she would live to the ripe old age of 33 ¼ after all she had been through, least of all me. She was healthy up to the end and looked better that her stable mate 10 years younger. I have Dr. Kellon and this group to thank for helping me keep her healthy for so long.

I wish that I could hug her just one more time and tell her how much I love her, how grateful I am to have had her in my life and how her memory lives on in all that she taught me that I share with others.

The following quote has always resonated with me with regards to Mill:

I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.” by W.B. Yeats

She always did and there will never be another like her. She was incomparable Arabian mare, the embodiment of so many of my lifelong dreams, and  has left an impossible hole in my heart to fill.

Fly free and graze and graze in green pastures until we meet again my beloved Millicent.

Millionairess #0428970 (Ben Bask x Nikiska)

2-13-1989 to 6-11-2022

--
Jennifer in Middle TN  2010
 Mill 33 yrs Arabian-PPID, IR & Pacemaker Dependent; 2-13-89 to 6-11-22

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Millionairess

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Jack-TN%20Walker

Sherry Morse

Jennifer,

I am so so sorry for your loss.  When you've had your heart horse that long the hole they leave is so gigantic it's almost immeasurable.  Just know that you provided her the best life possible and did everything you could for her.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

So very sorry for your loss, Jennifer.

Thank-you for sharing such a beautiful tribute to such a special girl. May time help to eventually fill the hole in your heart with the memories of the special bond you shared. Mill will always be with you.

Hugs at this heart breaking time.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Mill. Hugs.

Best wishes,
Heather Davis

[...]

August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa

Storm

Case History

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Jennifer, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful remembrance and eulogy.  My thoughts are with you during this difficult time, hugs ❤
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Jennifer Murphy

What an amazing journey you shared with your horse.  My sincerest condolences on your loss.
--
Jennifer in NH
2020

CH - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Flea

Photo album - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=251041&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

I’m so sorry for your loss, Jennifer.  Thank you for sharing her story with us.  I had no idea how long she had been a part of your life but I’ve always been impressed that she was a pacemaker horse.  Cherish your memories and hold them dear.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Sue Ring

Dear Jennifer,

What a beautiful tribute to your one-in-a-million girl.  What a wonderful adventure you have had together.  May time and fond memories heal your broken heart.  And rest assured, the appreciation you feel for Dr Kellon and fellow group members is shared throughout this community.  There is no better feeling then finding their hands that offer comfort, reassurance, knowledge, empathy, experience, especially at a time like this!  Wishing you peace........
--
Sue R in NC 2021

CASE HISTORY:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sue%20and%20Shifty

PHOTO FILES:

Lorna Cane

Edited

Oh Jennifer! I'm so sorry.
What a dreadful shock for you! I know you take great comfort in the fact that for Mill the end came quickly, but still, for you it is unspeakably tough.
I remember when you and Mill came on board over 11 years ago, and all you did to give her the best life.Making it to 33 1/4 is huge for any horse,but for Mill it is astounding.
Be kind to yourself,and make room,through your grief, for all the fabulous memories you two have made over all those years.

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Rita Chavez

I’m so very sorry for your loss of Millionairess. She lived an amazing life.
--
Rita C. and Stetson (IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Nancy C

I'm so sorry Jennifer. A hard day indeed. Thank-you for your tribute to your great mare.

Mill knew how much you loved and took care of her and loved you right back. The hole in one's heart is hard to mend, if it ever is. May many lovely memories give some relief.

Fly free Millionairess.
--
Nancy C in NH

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

I am so very sorry for your loss and heartbreak.  What a treasure she was and a dedicated, loving horse mom you were to her.  A beautiful relationship indeed.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

Bobbie Day

Oh Jennifer
My heart breaks for you, and brings back memories for me too.
These special bonds are hard to come by and makes it even harder. It’s hard to imagine how to go on when your grieving so much, but what a life you had together.
All we can do is to now is to hope we’ll someday be reunited.
I’m thinking of you.
And what a beautiful tribute to your girl, I can just see her in all her glory,I bet you were amazing together. ❤️

--
Bobbie and Maggie
Desi (over the rainbow bridge 7/21)

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Bobbie%20and%20Maggie

Joy V

So sorry to hear about Millicent.  Sending hugs your way.  What a loss.

--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Case history:  Willie's Case History
Willie's photo album:  Willie's Photos

jean banville

I am moved to tears by your tribute to Mill…such wonderful adventures you shared. You made each other’s life better with love, teamwork and deep connection.
Sending love and healing for your broken heart❤️‍🩹🐎

--
*Jean B from NH
joined 10/27/21*

Lesley Fraser

Oh no - what a shock. I’m so sorry.
Thank you for such a beautiful description of your life together - I can picture her festooned with gorgeous bells and tassels, and loving every minute of it.

--
Lesley and over the bridge Omar,
11-2012, Sutherland, UK

Omar - Case History

Carrie

Made me sob reading your loving tribute to your horse but also feel good about such a lovely relationship to the end.
I would think every minute of life you had together oozed love & care. Thanks for sharing & telling us about your lovely Millicent.
--
Carrie
March 2021

Alisa Martin

What a beautiful tribute to a grand mare. Through my tears I looked at her pictures and could see, even at her ripe old age, the kindness and dignity in her beautiful Arabian eyes. Thank you for sharing the story of your once-in-a-lifetime horse and your lives together. Wishing you peace.
--
Alisa and Andante

San Diego County, CA 1/2014

Case History

Photo album

kristiel

I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending hugs and love.

Kristie

--
Kristie, Siena, and Satch in Western Colorado 2022
( https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kristie%20&%20Siena )

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I'm so sorry and we're all grieving with you. I'm absolutely sure you're correct and it was quick. That was an eloquent tribute.