Grass Hay question for horses on Invokana

Lecia Martin

Dr. Kellon and any hay gurus out there,  I just received my hay analysis and I am wondering about a couple of things.

First, for horses on Invokana does DE matter?  For the past 3 years my hay, which we grow, has come in between .76 and .84 mcal/lb.  This year it is .92.   My worry is that with the amount that Flyte is eating, I may run into problems with free choice.  I am worrying needlessly?

Second, and I think I know the answer but here goes.  Calcium and phosphorus have been inverted the past 2 growing seasons,  this year, without doing anything to the soil Calcium came in at .53 vs. .28 last year and phosphorus .38 vs. .28.  Magnesium was also higher at .30 vs. .21.  The rest is pretty good:
Adf/Ndf 31/50
Protein  9.1
S/S  6.3
Trace minerals will be easy to balance.  I plan to call the lab on Monday to ask questions but any feedback would be appreciated.   I have tried unsuccessfully to upload my test.  Will keep trying.  Case history is up to date.  Thanks,

--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Nancy C

Hi Lecia

Not sure I will be of much help but here goes.

RE: DE If I understand the Invokana horses correctly the issue is the need to increase calories with free choice feeding. I think if I were in your position I would still feed free choice and keep a hard eye on weight gain.

Off the top of my head, your minerals could be affected by time of year tested and/or the section of the field your bales came from. I would think also that any change in species of grass vs legume would also affect the majors. If you are going through drought and/or excessive rain that would affect what flourishes when.

I'll be interested to hear what the lab says.

If you are trying to load a jpg into the CH folder, that may be where you are running into an issue.  Needs to be .pdf to go there. .jpgs -- which are often very hard to read -- can go into your photo file.

Hope this helps.
--
Nancy C in NH

Lecia Martin

Hi Nancy:  Thanks for the reply. I will leave things as is and watch him like a hawk. No change there.
As for my hay, in June we had close to 5 inches of rain then literally nothing.  My first cut was a total writeoff. We are now back in drought conditions, but we do irrigate.  So I will be interested in what the lab says.  Will keep you posted.  As for my hay test it is in pdf format but it looks like google is trying to change it when I go to upload.
Thanks again,
--
Lecia Flyte and Flame
Alberta, Canada

Nancy C

I would think too, Lecia, that irrigation could impact levels if there is a change in the source of the water. Actualy different source or heavy rains, etc. Might want to test that too at some point if you continue to have concern and not done so.
--
Nancy C in NH