Hauling Ruby

Sue Shaner

Just a brief update on Ruby, and then a new question. She has been on Phyto Quench, one scoop per day, and off of Bute for a good 6 weeks, and  is doing very well. I grind it with her flaxseed, salt, magnesium oxide, and natural vitamin E oil everyday. We are still soaking orchard Grass, but have found a source for lovely Timothy Hay that should be available year-round. Is Timothy always safe, or should I still have it tested?
Her activity level has increased, and she seems really excited to go for longer hand walks. She has been in Wood clogs for about 6 weeks, with trims at 4 weeks. We have a very knowledgeable farrier now, who has been able to work well with the new vet and ECIR guidelines.
The newest vet is a holistic practitioner. She discovered that Ruby had actually torn a left abdominal muscle when she had been cast in early January. The three vets before her did not discover that. I am assuming that was a big reason why Ruby did so much better on Bute. It no doubt actually helped with the pain from that muscle tear. It has healed, but in a torn position, so we are rehabbing for that.
We will be transporting Ruby about 2 and 1/2 hours on Thursday, to our new home. My question is, should I increase her Phyto Quench dose for that, or leave everything as it is? Thank you again for all that you do.
--
Sue and Ruby, NE Utah, 2017
Case History

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

There is NO hay that is always safe! You need to test. No benefit from increasing her PQ but I would stop every hour to unload and walk her around, offer water.

TERRI JENNINGS

I’m sure you won’t have time before the move, but for future reference. You can order Coconut Mats for your trailer. They are so squishy and comfortable I wish I could stand on them all day. They really help my old guys when trailering and they are less slippery than runner flooring an traditional trailer mats.

https://cocomatsnmore.com/
Also sold on Amazon.

--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA