Topics

Hay analysis

Toni Johnson

Good morning group,
Can someone help me with hay test results?
Hay #1- protein. 12
Wsc 6.1
Starch 2.5
Nsc 8.5
Ndf 62.7

Hay #2
Protein 13.7
Wsc 4.7
Starch 2.8
Nsc 7.5
Ndf 62.7
Both are orchard, brome blend second cutting, soft to the hand, green, not overly fertilized but nitrates not tested and proteins are a bit high?
Without ESC I'm unsure how to calculate numbers for my IR horses.
I tried just subtracting starch from NSC but that does not seem correct?
Can someone please help?
Thanks bunches.
--
Toni in Northern Colorado
"The Horses Hand Maiden"

Sherry Morse

Hi Toni,

Without knowing more about what the issues are with the horse/pony this is being fed to it's hard to comment and seeing copies of the actual hay test it's going to be hard to comment.  As far as calculations:

NSC = WSC + starch
WSC = simple sugars + fructans and their intermediates

So while not ideal, if you look at the NSC and it's under 10% it fits our definition of low sugar/starch hay.

_._,_._,

Toni Johnson

I'm concerned that the low sugar combined with high NDF might make an unpalatable feed. I'm supposed to go look at the hay this week, and probably grab samples for a wet chemistry if it doesn't seem too over mature. It's supposedly second cutting. I had just never done sugars without ESC before and the NDF is high.
I cannot get my case file to load, all I have is my Kindle for big files.
Thanks,

--
Toni in Northern Colorado
"The Horses Hand Maiden"

Sherry Morse

Hi Tori,

I don't know anything about using a Kindle with files but perhaps somebody else on the list can help.  The NDF value on this hay is high for sure but not quite (although close) to what's considered inedible as far as the average horse goes.  Hopefully Dr. Kellon or somebody else can comment on that plus the protein question.  If the horses didn't want to eat it I would think it'd be more likely due to the NDF value than the ESC/starch value.