Topics

Hay Analysis

redwards

Hello,

We are moving along and Galeno is doing much better. I was finally able to get his hay analyzed and was hoping someone could help me decipher what the numbers mean as far as it pertains to his diet.

Thanks,

Robin
--
Robin 2021 Tullahoma, TN
Galeno Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Galeno

Robin, is this an analysis of a sample that you took and sent to a forage lab? Very little was actually tested and no indication of what method of testing was done. It looks like the type of test that many hay growers provide to clients.

If you click on the "Mouse Case History" in my signature below it will allow you to see a folder of hay tests that I had done in the past. Open one of those hay tests for an example of what type of hay analysis you will get the most from. This is a wet chemistry type of test method with all the major and trace minerals, etc tested.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album Deceased

Kirsten Rasmussen

From what you DO have, it looks like this hay would be safe to feed unsoaked as ESC + starch = 5.4% (we recommend below 10% for more horses, and for very sensitive horses <7% although if this hay causes hoof pain for Galeno I would continue to soak it).  Protein is a little low, but if Galeno needs more you can easily supplement it.  The Ca:P ratio is reasonable, but unfortunately we would also like to see Mg, Fe, Cu, Zn, and Mn to see if any are deficient or if any of the other mineral ratios need to be corrected (almost certainly Cu and Zn will be deficient, and of course Fe is very important to know for EMS horses).  If they still have the sample, you can request that they run these elements as well.  Also, you could ask the lab if the ESC and starch were done by wet chemistry (most accurate) or by NIR (less accurate).  If this was done at Equi-Analytical or one or their affiliates, you just need to ask to upgrade the package to the "603 Trainer".  I personally also like to add Cl to the 603 package because it will help determine how much salt to feed.

For more detailed input, you should consult one of our hay balancers who will take the time to determine how much of this hay Galeno needs to meet his energy requirements, and what and how much should be supplemented for protein (and minerals if you are able to upgrade your package to the 603).
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing/HAY%20BALANCING-1.pdf

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Sherry Morse

Hi Robin,

Kirsten's already given you some insight into the results that you did provide, but to really help you need the header information so you know if the test was done NIR or wet chem as there are differences in the ESC and starch numbers depending on how the test was done.  Glad to hear Galeno is doing better though!

redwards

Thank you, this was done from Equi-Analytical. I did the less expensive version because I did it on the hay I have in the barn, approximately 20 bales are left. I don't know where the hay will come from next time. I mainly wanted to see the sugar that was in this batch. We do have 10 acres, but I can't get anyone to bale it for me. We don't use the back six acres which used to be baled by the previous owner. So until I can get a steady hay supply, I didn't want to do the more expensive test. I bought Seminole feed balancer. He is doing so much better and I have exercised him in the round pen, he seemed to enjoy it. He still has some bruising on his hooves and the farrier is coming today.
--
Robin 2021 Tullahoma, TN
Galeno Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Robin%20and%20Galeno
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=259415

redwards

Thank you, I will look closer at the two columns. It appears one was wet and one was dry, but I've never read one of these before. Sorry.