Hay Analysis

harmonypap@...

I just added a hay analysis on the same hay that I had another company analyze....very different results!  I tend to go with the Equi-Analytical report being more correct and since I did sample about 12-14 bales, it is also a more accurate representation of the same hay.  There are two headings with two columns each. One is As Sampled % and g/lb. There is also a Dry Matter column with the same subheadings, the values of those are nearly identical to the As Sampled Column.  There is also Ca, P, Mg, K, Na, Fe, Zn, Cu, Mn, and Mo values. If I am reading the report correctly, Protein is 11.9%, Starch 1.5%, and ESC 2.0.  So, at 3.5% NSC, it should be suitable for a PPID horse who is also IR, correct?

If so, then how do I feed it with her Timothy Cubes? Half and half by weight?
--
Karen M and Montana Rose in TX 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Montana

Hi, Karen.
We use the As Sampled column to determine the nutrients in hay. To determine the safety of hay for horses with EMS, combine ESC + Starch, making sure the total is less than 10% (and less for some equines). The total for this hay is 3.5%, ultra low.

Some details. Have you fed any of this hay? Does is pass the taste test? It looks to be very mature, with aNDF is 62.9. As a rule, when screening hay, I look for ADF and NDF in the range of 30-60 max. This is a very rough measure of the palatability and digestibility of the hay. If Montana Rose is used to Bermuda hay, it might be fine, at the high end of  acceptable. Combined with the very low ESC, though, the hay may not be palatable. I'd make sure my horse will eat it.

Another detail. We don't evaluate safe feeds using NSC. NSC is a measure that includes non-digestible carbohydrates. We check for carbohydrates that can affect insulin. Those are ESC and Starch. For a complete explanation, see the link to Dr Kellon's Horse Sense: https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2021/09/10/nsc-fructans-and-ems-again/

It looks like the analysis you ordered from Equi-Analytical was the 601 Equi-Tech. That test uses faster and cheaper lab methods, near infrared and plasma spectroscopy, for the energy portion of the analysis -- results above the minerals starting with Calcium. Wet Chemistry (603 Trainer) is a more accurate and safer lab method. It takes longer and costs more. For this hay, the inaccuracy probably won't be a big problem because ESC is so low. However, in the future, especially where the hay's carbohydrates are unknown, be sure to test carbs using wet chemistry. The difference can be critical for a laminitic horse.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

harmonypap@...

Thanks Cass for your response.  For Bermuda grass hay, it is very nice hay, leafy, smells great, and is very palatable---our other horses love it and Montana was eating it until about 2 months ago. We stopped feeding it to her when we thought it was so high in starch due to the other analysis I had done.  They had starch at 4.2 and sugars at 9.4.  She had been a little sore footed, especially her LH, but my farrier discovered a white line separation caused by sand packing into it.

I will go read that article.  I had been taught to use the NSC % of feeds per my experience on FB groups, but am quickly realizing that the learning curve with EMS is not really a curve, but a straight line up!!!

I did have the 601 Equi-Tech done, but will use the 603 Trainer in the future.  Thanks for that as well.

I would like to feed Montana some of this hay.  She is on the Timothy Balance Cubes now with salt, flax, and Vita E added to some I have soaked.  If I feed half and half, do I need to add something to balance it?
--
Karen M and Montana Rose in TX 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Montana

Hi Karen,

You will need to balance the hay if you feed it as part of the diet.  The part that is the timothy balanced cubes is fine with just the salt, flax and vitamin E.

Karen, as Sherry said, the hay portion of the diet should be balanced, especially the trace minerals so critical to our horses’ hoof quality. Have you considered taking Dr Kellon’s class on equine nutrition and diet balancing? All online and worth every penny. http://drkellon.com/coursedescriptions/nrcplus.html
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator
Cayuse and Diamond Case History Folder

harmonypap@...

Thank you Cass and Sherry.  I will look into the course you mentioned.