Hay Analysis

Kathy Hurd Hollister

Question for the group.
If I would like to analysis the hay that I am soaking, what is the protocol?
I am soaking for 1 hour in cold water or 1/2 hour in hot water( when it is available). Does it matter if the hay is dried in the sun or in the shade? Any other hints would be greatly appreciated.

--
Kathy-Joined 5-/2016
Mia Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kathy%20and%20Mia

Hi, Kathy. Dry the soaked hay in the shade away from the dusty barn. I move it from the hay net to a laundry bag for drying, which usually takes a couple of days. Make sure the hay feels dry before you package and send it.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Nancy C

Hi Kathy

I use the method for drying from DairyOne using a microwave.

https://dairyone.com/download/forage-determining-dry-matter-with-a-microwave-oven/

Make sure you keep an eye on it b/c id it gets too dry it can catch.  I use this because I can pickup off the field, dry the sample quickly and get an answer to my hay guy in a few days.
--
Nancy C in NH