hay analysis and....

Dancer's Mom

I got hay analysis from the place I purchased a couple bales of teff hay.  When I got home I realized that the results were from 9/2020.  I probably need a more recent hay analysis because things change in a year.  But the results of the teff hay seem like they would be agreeable to my horse's diet, from last year.....  The barn where my horse is at, just got a new shipment of hay and hay for analysis has been gathered and will get results as soon as they can.  In the meantime, I'll continue to soak Dancer's hay and I've taken out the Purina Outlast and Equine Generator and decreased the MegRestore, till I get magnesium oxide, and decreased salt.  I've sent the company who makes LMF Low Starch Complete the particular questions that are requested through, here.  Also, from what i understood from Dancer's vet is that, she wants to wait 6 weeks to do ACTH/Insulin/Glucose because, soon, she'll be off the thyroid powder for weight loss and getting bloodwork done in 6 weeks, will be necessary, even if we did bloodwork, now.  So, she made it sound like, it' better to wait cause then, we can fix what's going on, then.   Does that make sense, the way i worded it?  Dancer seems to be more comfortable and her digital pulses on all four, are not as strong, and getting harder to find the digital pulse, especially on the left side.  Anyways, Thanks so much for all your help.  I'm slowly starting to understand things, and slowly managing to get around this site.  : )
--
Patti
Northern California 2021

Sherry Morse

Hi Patti,

For the hay test to be useful it needs to be done via wet chemistry, not NIR.  LMF Low Starch Complete is on our list of safe bagged feeds (https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Core%20Diet/2.%20Safe%20Feeds/Safe%20Bagged%20Feeds.pdf) so I'm not sure what you emailed them to ask.

ACTH, glucose and insulin can be checked 3 weeks after reaching the target dose of Prascend.  Not sure what your vet is worried about as far as the Thyro-L but do make sure you wean off of it slowly as once it's in constant use it replaces the horse's thyroid function.  You can read about how to taper it here: https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/265797