Topics

Hay Analysis only lists sugar

hmfox77@...

I'm looking at a hay analysis for some potential hay and it only lists sugar and starch, it doesn't break it out into ESC and WSC.  It lists NFC at 15.65%, Sugar 7.9%,  Starch 0.7%, and NSC (Starch+Sugar) 8.6%.   So is the NFC = WSC+starch and "sugar" is ESC?
The analysis was done by Holmes Lab in Ohio.
Thanks!
--
Heather F
Minnesota

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

Abbreviations, are such fun, aren't they?

NSC = WSC + starch
NFC = estimate of carbohydrates composed of starch, simple sugars, fructan, soluble fiber, and fermentation acids

WSC = sugars such as fructans, sucrose, glucose and fructose
ESC (Ethanol-Soluble Carbohydrates) are simple sugars, disaccharides and oligosaccharide

So for this hay if they're saying NSC is 8.6 that's including more than we usually look at (and I'm sure if I've gotten this wrong somebody else will jump in and correct me) so it should be ok for an IR/PPID horse.

hmfox77@...

Thank you Sherry!  The abbreviations are a real hoot. I confused myself when I was writing my post LOL. That's all I really wanted to know, if it was IR safe.