Topics

Hay Test

Amadadelsol@...

Hello I just wanted to quickly double check something. When we look at ESC + starch we are looking at the first column under RESULTS right? The next one over is headed with As Sampled and then the final two columns to the right which are headed with Dry Matter. So to be clear I should use the numbers from the farthest left hand column?
thank you!
--
Pat and Frigga
Monkton, VT

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Frigga

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Use "As Sampled"

Hi Pat,

You want to look at the "As sampled" column.

Starshine Ranch

Seriously?  The "As Sampled" column is HUGE!  We would never find any hay that would test okay with those #'s.  I thought to the left, under %, was still As Sampled but were the %'d numbers.
--
Linda  CA  in 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Linda,

It would be helpful if you could put a copy of the hay test in a folder in the Case History group and send us a link.  Without that information we can't comment on your hay test, but it is very possible to find hay that tests within the under 10% ESC+starch parameters.  For the original poster's question, her hay is 6.1% ESC+starch: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Frigga/Frigga%20Hay%20Analysis/EQ130514.pdf

If you're looking at EA test, are you looking at the FIRST column under as sampled (which is %) or the 2nd?  We look at the FIRST one, not the 2nd which is what Pat asked about.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Edited

Hi Linda,

Both of the left columns are As Sampled results. You want to use the As Sampled vs. the Dry Matter results.

You're right. The first column is %, the second is that same percentage expressed in the actual amount of the mineral found in a lb/kg of that hay. Same information, different presentation.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

llkeach50

Linda,
Its the first number in the “as sampled” column. The % number.

Linda K.
NY 2003

Amadadelsol@...

Thank you for the clarification, Linda K. That’s what I thought but after reading Dr K’s response I was confused and had a momentary panic thinking I had used the wrong numbers! Phew!

--
Pat and Frigga
Monkton, VT

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pat%20and%20Frigga

Starshine Ranch

-- It wasn't my test and yes, I was trying to explain that it IS the % column under As Sampled but I think the original message was confusing Pat and I'm sorry if I confused you too.
Thanks,
Linda  CA  in 2020