Hay Tester to Borrow or Rent Placerville-Loomis area

Jennifer Boydstun

Hello-

I received hay test from hay provider; i would like to test again. Would anyone in the the Sacramento area have a hay probe tester I can rent from them? I live in Folsom work in Placerville and board in Loomis. Any where in the Sacramento area.
--
Jennifer Boydstun
Folsom, Ca.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi Jennifer,  I purchased mine from Amazon for just about 200 bucks. It has been super super useful to have on hand.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Anthie Booras

Sierra Hay Testing in Acampo sells them for $50-60. I’m not sure if they rent them.
--
- Anthie

Northern California
August 2015

Erin's case history:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anthie%20and%20Erin/

gypsylassie

If you end up having to pull samples by hand this time, a hay hook makes it easier than reaching in with your hand and you don't have to cut the twine.     I push the hay hook down into the hay give it a bit of a turn, then pull out a hank of hay.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM, Anthie Booras wrote:
Sierra Hay Testing
I bought one of those Sierra Testing golf club shank probes years ago. I didn't have the heft to push the probe into the end of a 100 pound bale, much less 20 bales. The strength required to use a push probe is something to consider.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator

Jennifer Boydstun

Thanks so much ladies for your responses. I will give Acampo a call to purchase. Brilliant idea with the hay hook; which I can do right away! thanks so much to you both!

Jennifer Boydstun
Folsom, Ca.
For T-Birds Windrunner- Tennessee Walker
8-5-18
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20T-Birds%20Case%20History

gypsylassie

Jennifer, the silly thing is, I've been pulling samples by hand off and on for years just using my hands and cutting one string.   This year I bought 90 grass bales that, after I got them in the loft, I discovered some were starting to mold.  The task of checking each of those bales to find the ones I had to return was daunting.   That's when I somehow thought of using the hay hook to pull hay out of the center.   After doing that on all 4 sides of all those dang bales, I thought, "hey, I could pull samples for testing this way" !!! 😂.   I do have a hay probe, but I can't find my late husband's drill.   Obviously I need to buy a drill, but in the meantime I'll be out there with my hay hook.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Helen Temps

I am in Placerville and have a hay probe
--

Helen Temps and Chloe  June 2017
Placerville, CA