Heat Cycle and supplements to help

Dancer's Mom

Dancer’s been having what they say is gas colic every 25 days since mid April 2022 and  I’ve checked my notes.  It’s been happening on and off for a while (the colics during her heat cycle), for at least a year.  These last 3 months, every 25 days, The only thing that gets Dancer feeling better is 1,000 lb dose of banamine. Is there something I should give to Dancer cuz I know banamine is not good for Laminitic horses.  Is there anything herbal that I can give Dancer to help her with her heat cycles?  I think she gets cramps that are so uncomfortable and the vet says it’s gas colic but she has no problem eating and pooping while her “gas colic” happens. The first sign of it, is muscle spasms on her left side where you’d check for gut sounds and then it goes to the right side.  And when she walks, while I try to help her get thru it, she drags all four hooves and doesn’t really want to walk.  Dancer will be getting ultrasound to see if there’s any cyst on her ovaries or anything the vet could find with ultrasound.   I’m thinking that the colics could be cramping. Please let me know your thoughts and what I can give her to help with heat cycles, since she’s laminitic. I hope this makes sense.  Thank you.
--
Patti
Northern California 2021

Sherry Morse

Hi Patti,

Why do you think Dancer is still laminitic now? Is she still overweight?  Still unwilling to move?  Have you had her bloodwork checked recently?  If she's an IR horse who's not actively laminitic there's no reason you can't give her bute or banamine to help with pain.  We do not recommend NSAIDs for treating laminitis due to IR because it's not an inflammatory process and the NSAIDs won't help with that but it doesn't mean you can't ever use them for something else.

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Patti, I just wanted to say I totally feel for you and Dancer. Summer and I had the same going on for the last three years in escalating events and we opted to do an ovarectomy.

The things I tried were banamine, methocarbamol during the events to get her through the cramping and pain. This often lasted a week. We used banamine firing the first couple days and then weaned off to her tolerance and kept her on methocarbamol until the episode resolved.  Usually about 5 to 7 days.

We did lots of labs to determine if she had theca granulosa cell tumor which was negative and hormone levels all came back in normal ranges.

We did an ultrasound weekly for a month to track her cycles  during the month of March 2022 and found nothing abnormal. But when she coliced again in May 2022, we decided removing the ovaries was our best course.

She is on the second week of her recovery from surgery and doing super.  Fingers crossed!

Hope this helps.
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca

Summer

Dancer's Mom

Thanks for your info. It is helpful. We’re getting ultrasound tomorrow morning,
for our first step in diagnosis and see what’s the best course for Dancer. I’m glad your mare is recovering well. I send continued positive vibes for healing and speedy recovery. Thanks again.
--
Patti
Northern California 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patti%20and%20Dancer

Dancer's Mom

Dancer seems to now, be healing well from laminitis which was in September 2021. He weight looks good.  And she is very willing to move. I did have her blood work done recently and need to update it. But results came out good. Thank you for your information. It’s very helpful for me. Now, I guess I always worry that she can have another “bout” of laminitis if I give her the wrong supplements or medication or injection.

Thank you all for helping us get through our issues. All your support means the world to us.
--
Patti
Northern California 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patti%20and%20Dancer

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Hi Patti,

When a mare is in season, it's the exact opposite of a period in humans so uterine cramping isn't an issue here.

The mare in season is getting ready to ovulate  (mid cycle for women). Ovulation is an inflammatory process. It has been documented that EMS mares have longer cycles - 21 days is the average normal.  Those extra days are spent trying to get that egg to ovulate!  There's no problem with giving her Banamine when she has these issues.

Hi Patti,

If you keep her diet well controlled and her insulin number is in a good place there's less of a chance that medication will cause a laminitis issue; but as we've outlined on this group there are many ways to minimize the risk of laminitis.

Dancer's Mom

Thank you Dr. Kellon. So, are you saying that Dancer is probably not cramping cuz mares typically don’t get cramps from being in heat? And ovulation could be causing cramps because of the inflammatory process?  I’m very uneducated with mares and heat cycles, etc…

From what I comprehended, (which maybe I misunderstood) Some results from the ultrasound showed that the left ovary isn’t functioning normally because Dancer is in estrus since June 6th and still in estrus now and the follicles aren’t in the correct timing. Like I said, I may have not understood what’s going on. Doctors are putting together the detailed report which isn’t available at this time. But I do know that the left ovary is of concern.
--
Patti
Northern California 2021
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Patti%20and%20Dancer

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Mares don't get uterine cramps like women do when they are menstruating because estrus is the exact opposite of menstruation. It's when the ovary is releasing an egg. In mares with EMS, cycles are disrupted to various extents, from just longer intervals between estrus to full blown cystic follicles that don't ovulate. For a follicle to release an egg, there is an inflammatory process needed to open up the follicle. We don't know the details of what is going wrong in EMS mares but their hormones are disrupted, the follicles don't ovulate and the inflammation appears to go on because they are painful. It appears to be very similar to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in women https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/symptoms-causes/syc-20353439 . We have documented some of the same hormonal changes in mares including high LH, low FSH, high progesterone.