Topics

Help for my mare Storm

hdavis

Hello,

I have added new hoof picks of Storm’s front feet as Lavinia requested. She continues to be lame on her left front and does not want to weight the heel at all.  She is also sore on her right hind and is resting it constantly.  She has stifle arthritis and I suspect the cooler temps are affecting her arthritis.  Not sure if it is possibly affecting the front left too and this is causing her pain.  No signs of abcess yet.  I did however notice that her right Pasternak doesn’t look as upright as the left pastern in the recent pics.  Looking at her after both pasterns to me look more sloped than normal and not as upright as they were before.  Thoughts and feedback is welcome and I hope her trim has not caused these issues.  Help please. I have my vet coming out tomorrow and wondering about things now like DLSD :(

Thanks in advance.
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Heather,

Thanks for adding the new pix for Storm.

Front toe length is much better than is the previous pix. Heels are still underrun, with the RF being worse - that's where a lot of the pastern angle change is coming from. Need to allow more vertical height to develop in the back half of the feet relative to the front half. It's the same issue you are dealing with in Riosa's trim, with the RF also being her worst.

If you have her in boots, try using a pad with a frog support and possibly a heel wedge and see see how she looks when those are in place while you work to get the trim sorted out.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

hdavis

Thanks Lavinia!

I am working on getting her heels back and keeping her toe short.  I tried her in cloud boots and think they actually made her worse.  But maybe I should try them again?  Or fashion a pad with a frog support.

Do you think the trim or under in heels are causing this wicked front leg lameness?   Or should I keep treating for an abcess?  It is a catch 22 as her right stifle is very sore so gave her previcox for a day then skipped a day and then gave again to try and give her some relief.  I stopped the alcar as ran out. Ordered more.  Or could this all be from uncontrolled PPID?

One more question regarding bloods for tomorrow.  So they have to have feed in front of them all night wiithout it running out or as long as they harm each feed available for 4 hours before blood draw.  Not sure if I just load up my evening feeding or to just be sure I get up at 5 and make sure they have constant access to feed up until the vet comes at 10.

Also did u get a chance to look at Rio’s recent pics.  Do I go further with the toes?  I see lots of holes in her white line or I guess dead white line so wondered if I keep going shorter?

thanks again!!!
--
Heather
August 5, 2017, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

Riosa Case History

 Photos

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=8819&p=pcreated,,,20,2,0,0  .

Storm

Case History

photos

Sherry Morse

Hi Heather,

The underrun heels causing changes to the pastern angle could well be contributing to lameness.  Trying a boot with a wedge and/or a pad with frog support as Lavinia suggested could hep but you won't know until you try it. The stifle issue is possibly also being made worse as she's trying to shift weight off the sore front legs so it may well be all connected to mechanical issues and nothing to do with PPID.  You won't know without pulling blood to check her ACTH level and trying to find a boot/pad combination that makes her feel better.

If the vet is coming at 10 you just need to make sure they have hay at 6am so they're not fasting when the blood is drawn.

Will defer to Lavinia's recommendations with regard to Rio but to my eye she has a ton of excess toe on both her front feet - there should not be a change in angle from the pastern to the ground and she has an extreme change on both from about midway down the hooves to the ground.