Topics

HELP!! Ideas for Picky Pony

Manon

You guys...I need help! I am throwing away the majority of Danny's supplements each day as he is turning his nose up. In his supplement cups that I make up and he is fed twice per day is the following:
  • Ontario Balance Hay Cubes (carrier)
  • MagOx (powdered)
  • CaTrace Plus
  • White Table Salt
  • Vitamin E
  • Organic Ground Flax
  • A pinch of cinnamon for flavor

I have tried the equisweet flavorings in all available flavors. He hates them all...of course. This entire thing is wetted down like a mash. I have experimented with various consistencies from very wet and mashy to just enough to bring it all together. He had been eating this relatively well and recently just won't. He has some days that he will humor us. I really think it's a stubborn pony thing because he feels good and is eating his hay just fine.

The vet says sugar free apple sauce is fine. I disagree. If an apple is not fine, why would apple sauce be ok?

Any ideas for me to try? Aside from burning money, I spend a great deal of time making up 60 cups of this each month. I would like to think that it's more than an exercise in futility : )

Thank you all!!
--
Manon
August, 2019. Springboro, Ohio

Sherry Morse

Have you tried Anise flavoring which is supposed to be very popular with horses?  I would try some licorice first to see if he'd even eat that but if he will eat it perhaps a smidge of that in his supplements may help.  I've found that with my super picky mare doing pelleted supplements as much as I could helped make sure she'd eat them and I'd also just lightly wet down the powders to make them stick to the carrier.  Making things mushier didn't work for her.

Hopefully some other folks will have ideas for you to try as well.

celestinefarm

Manon,
when you say cup, do you mean an actual measuring cup?  When you say "thing is wetted down", please explain in better detail.  If what you have listed is being put in one cup of OTBC, between the magnesium, the CA Trace, and salt, all of the mineral flavors are going to be foremost and most likely rejected.  None of my horses would accept that amount of supplements in such a small amount of carrier.
Sugar free applesauce is fine, because you would ordinarily be using such a small amount. What ECIR doesn't recommend is feeding apples as treats.  But you would need in this case a huge amount of applesauce to cover up all the supplements.
What else does he receive as a feed?
--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Hi, Manon.
My guess is that most of us started out with a boycott. Did you find the Picky Eater's Checklist? https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/9b%20Pulling%20it%20Together/Picky%20Eaters%20Checklist.pdf
Dr Kellon's advice is to start with just the carrier and a small amount of the supplements, say a teaspoon or two. Once that's accepted, gradually increase the amount of minerals. Did you try wetting the ODTBC until they are rehydrated and fluffy but not mushy? Have you fed them alone to see if Danny likes them? If so, then toss in the supplements like tossing a salad.

Because the flies have been so bad this year, I feed minerals when I put out overnight hay. That way the supplements become the only feed around in the late overnight hours.

While not ideal, half a container of unsweetened applesauce might be enough to do the trick.  I originally fed supplements with a kids' cups of unsweetened applesauce. 13g of sugars in 4 oz of applesauce is roughly half the sugars in each pound of my 5.6% ESC hay.

You are in the same state as Anderson Feeds, maker of Nuzu Stabul 1 http://nuzufeed.com/7550%20Stabul.html . A quarter cup of Stabul1 added after your cubes are dampened might be a tempter. They are my horses' only treat. Or you can use Stabul 1 as the carrier. Experiment with the amount of water. My pickiest eater likes the supplements barely dampened, tossed over Stabul1, as Sherry describes.

For my pickiest eater, I had to start out with California Trace Plus pellets, as she far prefers pellets to powdered anything.

Another taste tempter that is very popular is Uckele CocoSoya oil. A  tablespoon drizzled over the top might get Danny started.

FWIW, I had a lot of trouble with my most recent rescue rejecting supplements.  It took almost a year to get her comfortable and to find what she liked. IME pain reduces my equines' willingness to eat anything but forage.
--
Cass for Cayuse (PPID/IR) and Diamond (IR)
Sonoma County, Calif. Oct. '12

Cayuse Case History                Cayuse Photos
Diamond Case History              Diamond Photos

Lynn

Hi Manon,
I have been on a similar journey with my ultra picky Paso...We went through too many iterations to count almost (including anise, beet root powder, teas etc.). I agree with Sherry..i first tried to find as many things in pelleted form as possible. And like, Sherry, "mushier" or "stickier" with alot of oils didn't work. What did seem to finally work (because he also would not touch the soft gel Vitamin E) was to put Uckele Vitamin E oil in a serving of CocoSoya oil, buy whole flaxseed and grind fresh in a coffee grinder, (I also grind the mag ox in a blender to create a fine powder along with other things dictated by the hay balancing such as copper, zinc, etc.d)....that all gets mixed in with his Stabul 1 (his carrier) and he is finally eating everything...any little bit left over in his feed bowl i sprinkle on his hay. I don't know if this helps but i feel your pain.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Lorna

Edited

Beet Root ( Red Beet) Powder ??

--

Lorna  in Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ECIR Moderator

Nancy C

Before applesauce, I would take out the salt and see if that is the issue. Sometimes they need to get used to that much salt. If that is the issue, then you need to figure out how to get the amount needed into him. Come back and let us know.

I would also try doubling the carrier amount, as I think Dawn suggested.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2020 NO Laminitis! Conference, October 22 - 25, Harrisburg, PA

Lynn

At one point beet root powder was recommended to me and i was given this link to purchase it at....
https://www.herbalcom.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cEcommerce.dspProducts&CategoryID=2403&LinkKey=A&OrderClause=ProductName,ASC
But I ended up using it in my smoothies because Relevante wouldn't touch it. The powder is very fine and supposed to be enticing to equines...but not mine. LOL.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Michele Einarson

First of all, start small.  Give him time to adjust to the change.  Start with what he'll eat, than add extras a bit at a time.  You don't need to jump to full doses right away.
--
Michele & Mosey, 2019
Reno, NV, USA

Manon

Thank you for all of the great suggestions!

sorry for not clarifying. I put pics in the photo album. When I say cups, I’m referring to cups that I make up...like my own smart paks that I leave at the barn. His doses of each are by recommended dose for his size. Everything is pelleted that can be. He’s been on most of these supplements for quite some time. I changed the carrier to the balanced hay cubes which he does like alone. I blend them just so they get soft faster...a courtesy to the people who feed him twice a day.the only new addition is vitamin e. And I removed the kombat boot. Maybe that made it more palatable to him and I can add it back. I will try the suggestions and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again : )
--
Manon
August, 2019. Springboro, Ohio
Danny Case File: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Manon%20and%20Danny
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=93910

Kirsten Rasmussen

I've found too that salt can be a bit much when there's not a LOT of carrier so try sprinkling the salt on lightly dampened hay instead, or set it out free choice and see if he eats enough of it on its own.  I also add a 1/2 cup of Step Pro Fibre Crunch just to make the carrier (beet pulp) and minerals (Amino Trace +, which is pelleted) more enticing, and use 2.5 Tbsp flaxseed oil (refrigerated) instead of ground flax.

Good luck!
--
Kirsten Rasmussen
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Kirsten%20and%20Shaku

Shaku's Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=82559&p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

I agree on removing the salt first. My mare is not picky but when I added salt she refused. I removed it and she ate it and I had to gradually up the amount.  I don't give applesauce because even unsweetened has sugar in it. What I found works best is a syrup made with stevia by NuNaturals. It only takes a drizzle and its sweet and helps the powdered supplements stick to my moist beet pulp. Recently she went on strike again and I took 1 alfalfa cube and cut it into wafers. I soak about 4 wafers and add that in and toss it all together so everything is mixed together without the ability to leave behind anything and so far it's a winner. Good luck! It sure can be a challenge!

Nancy and Akira

--
Nancy
3/20/2018  Burkesville KY

Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Nancy%20and%20Akira

Lynn

This is a tip about salt from my hay balancer that worked for Relevante. He too initially wasn't into the table salt. I also tried the white salt block in his food bin but he wouldn't touch that either. My hay balancer said that sometimes they have to develop a taste for salt. She had me switch from table salt to a 40 lb bag of Champions Choice Mix-N-Fine salt (it's plain white and i got it at Tractor Supply) and encouraged me to try a salt block again too (third time). Well it worked. He not only eats the salt in the supplements but is also chewing/eating on the salt block itself.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Kate Triplett

When Bunny went on strike (partially pergolide veil, but as she's Irish she still scarfed up ALL of her hay - even though it was soaked and rinsed and nose-wrinkling non-sweet. She adamantly refused the (now not-sweet soaked and washed and drained) beet shreds she used to love that I used as a carrier for her regumate! Total snit - pawed her feed tub over and dumped it on the rubber mats, then ate around it... and left it. I resorted to giving just a handful of her soaked/rinsed drained hay in her tub, squirted the regumate onto THAT, and leaving her to starve for fifteen minutes.

Being Irish, she did not starve very long. Now she gets her regumate that way (she is weaning off it, but still has a week to go) and in evening I hide her half pill of Prascend in a skinny little slice of apple, proudly presented on TOP of the lo-carb complete/beet shreds combo that is carrier for her metabolic supplement and vitamin E oil. She eats that tiny sliver of apple first :) then her hay and finally after everything else is gone but her sawdust bedding, the tub of feed gets eaten.I nip each gel cap of the vitamin E (400 iu caps) with my teeth and squeeze the oil out onto the feed - it works.

Salt in that feed turned her off completely - though she still slurps at her redmond rock every day. I need to get her an iodized block and take that redmond out, as I think there may be an iron component in it along with all the other minerals they love it for. Oddly she did NOT like the freshly ground raw flaxseed that Lacey adores - will revisit that after a few other snits are addressed.

After I have my hay reports back, I will be crossing the mineral balancing bridge and am sure she will find something else to be snippy about.
--
Kate and Bunny (Irish Draught broodmare PPID) and Lacey (Irish Draught Sporthorse broodmare IR laminitis)
Homesick Angels Farm, WA USA

Lorna

Edited

-...." and am sure she will find something else to be snippy about."

Hey Kate, my experience in these endeavours has taught me to try to avoid putting  the negative vibes out there, at all costs.😊