Topics

help needed; russian olive trees and berries and ir horse

Daisy Shepherd

my ir horse has now discovered the russian olive trees  and berries in his turn out area; they have now gone into winter ;  about a dozen trees over about 5 acres; is boarded can not fence out of area;   any knowledge appreciated for this problem???  has anyone had this to deal with and the ir horse?? thank you, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Horses will increase browsing when pastures go dormant. The berries (actually fruits) of this tree are over 50 % glucose and fructose by dry weight https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5108988/ , https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.675.1199&rep=rep1&type=pdf . Leaves can also accumulate significant amounts of sugar and starch but I haven't found specifics for this tree but deer and cattle consume them readily.

Can you get permission to remove low lying branches?

Daisy Shepherd

i plan to talk with owners today about removal and clipping branches. my other options are find  new boarding place ( which is difficult in my area )  or put muzzle on again; as he gets  about 4 months with no muzzle and since pasture is very dormant, really prefer not to muzzle.  thank you for your help, daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Daisy Shepherd

dr kellon, interesting article on  the testing of the russian olive tree leaves and berries. thank you , daisy and tiko
Daisy, Tiko and Whisper
CO, April 2019
Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Daisy%20and%20Tiko
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90099&p=Name,,,20,2,0,0

Sherry Morse

Daisy,

Maybe ask if they'd install wire fencing just around the 12 trees.  It won't help with windswept branches or fruit, but would keep Tiko away from the trees themselves.  We've done that to keep horses from chewing on the trees and it doesn't take very long - you just need 3 - 4 t-posts per tree and some 6 foot wire fencing.

Joy V

Hi Daisy,

You might look into electric fencing.  If it's a small area, you could put some up pretty inexpensively.  They run on solar and you can also use backup batteries.  It's a very temporary fix, and won't make any impact on the environment of the area you use it.

Good luck!

Joy
--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Rose Miller

-- GOOD info on Russian olive trees. Here is my experience with JUNIPER BERRIES in Arizona. we had a bumper crop this year, like blue snow under trees. Have lived her for 8 years and never so many. MY Ir/cush horse began eating them like grain. took her away, but too late. she now has a horrible case of laminitis I am dealing with. they too are nearly 50% sugar, I found out. just a word to the wise.

Rose Miller in Arizona 2020