Hemp Hulls and Hearts feed

Rita Chavez

https://stanceequitec.com.au/product/hemp-hulls-and-hearts

My local feed/hay supplier carries Stance Equine products and gave me small sample bag of Stance’s new Hemp Hulls & Hearts feed. They’re looking for feedback and want to carry this product. It looks good and crunchy and smells tasty like granola. I gave Stetson a little handful to try as a treat and he loved it. He licked his lips for 10 minutes after that one bite. It supplies Omega 3-6-9 and vit. E as well as more proteins. It’s pricey, though, and I wouldn’t give it as a feed because I’m afraid of the total calories. But would this be acceptable as a topper (1/2 cup) to add to each meal?

Stetson has just passed his 4-month mark in IR recovery. He’s acting and moving normal. I weight tape him once a month to keep track and he’s right at 1,000 pounds. I see ribs when he moves. But his topline has completely melted away and I’m a bit concerned about his muscling since dropping the alfalfa hay off his diet. Hence my question for adding protein back to his diet. I haven’t started riding yet and won’t until 9 month xrays in March confirm his feet are completely recovered.
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Nancy C

Edited

Hi Rita

So glad to hear about Stetson. Hemp in general is inverted in the Omega 3-6-9 category with Omega 6 overwhelming Omega 3. I would want to take a look at how much of each is in your half-cup to see if the Omegas in my flax are being overwhelmed.  You could write to the company and ask for their analysis of Omegas to figure this out. You will probably hear from them that inverted Omegas are not a problem.

Feedipedia shows a 2:5 ratio between Omega 3 and 6 in the seed.  We are looking for 4:1 as supplied in flax.  https://www.feedipedia.org/node/50

Don't know about the hulls with some seed still attached, but I would say it is likely inverted however, I can be educated.  If you want to geek out here's a handy comparison chart for a variety of high fat foods used for horses

https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/5%20Core%20Diet/Omega%203%20and%20Omega%206/FlaxBOSSpeasCHIAhemp.pdf

I would not use this as a feed for sure. If Dr Gustafson (KFG) is around, hope she will weigh in if needed.  She does her work in Omegas in humans.

Hope this helps.

--
Nancy C in NH

Recordings of the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference released to attendees 09.03.21.
Veterinary Professional CE certification hours submitted to AAVSB Race 09.08.21

celestinefarm

More info on the Hemp and Heart product from the Stance website. Lists protein content, etc. Also note it says on the analysis that the product may contain trace amounts of THC.
90-Hemp Hulls and Hearts - November 2019.pdf (stanceequitec.com.au)
Dr.Kellon's 2019 article on hemp products and the inverse ratio of Omega 3-6.
Hemp for Horses | Dr. K's Horse Sense (wordpress.com)
Uckele's excellent primer on what all the different terms mean on CBD products.
Uckele Health & Nutrition Priorities When Buying and Producing a CBD Product | ARTICLES

--
Dawn Wagstaff and Tipperary

Saline, MI  2003

Tipperary Case History

Rita Chavez

Ok, so NO on the Stance ‘Hemp Hulls & Hearts’ feed. Thank you for the comparison chart - I do love a good geek-out opportunity!  The lady at my feed store had no idea the label said it could have trace amounts of THC! She was pretty shocked by that and didn’t know what to say, except that it probably was such a minute amount as to have no ill effects. Hmmm...not something I need to risk. And you were right - she did deny that Omega 6 being higher than 3 was undesirable in a horse feed.

What would be a safe protein source to feed? Obviously peas are also off the table, being high in sugar. What about soybean meal?
--
Rita C. and Stetson (2001 Tennessee Walking Horse/Gelding, diagnosed IR)
Aiken, South Carolina USA
June 2021

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Rita%20C.%20and%20Stetson

Kirsten Rasmussen

You can try seaching our messages for "soybean+meal" and "peas" and "whey".  All are safe options although some horses react to the phytoestrogens in soybean meal so we generally don't recommend it for IR horses.  Field peas (dry round or split peas) are very high in starch but it is in an indigestible form so it is safe, but the amino acid profile is not ideal.  Whey is expensive but a good quality option.  You can also add a supplement to boost the 3 most likely limiting amino acids.  Uckele's Tri-Amino or Mad Barn's 3 Amigos are both examples of a targeted protein supplement.

But first, do you have a hay analysis?  What is the protein in the hay?  It's rare for it to be inadequate if a horse is eating 2% of body weight in hay and is not in work.

Losing topline at this time of year could be a red flag for PPID.  His ACTH in July was fine, but if he is in the early stages of PPID then it might only be elevated during the seasonal rise.  Late Sep or early Oct would be a good time to check baseline ACTH to see if that's the case.  Or you can do a TRH Stim test between December and June.  At his age I would probably check his ACTH annually during the peak of the seasonal rise to catch PPID early if he develops it.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Frances C

All hemp products have trace amounts of THC except maybe hemp oil - not a problem!
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

Rita Chavez

Thank you, Kirsten. I’m reading through the files and will take a closer look at the whey options from Uckele and Mad Barn. And beginning to think I’m hyper-focused on his topline because for years it was always plumped up - and I thought it looked good and muscled. But it was a layer of fat. Now that he’s at his ideal weight, his entire frame is slimmer than my eyes are accustomed to seeing. Heck, even his butt cheeks. I don’t feel boney spine poking through so there is muscle there.

I don’t have a hay analysis because my storage for hay is quite small. My hay is delivered every two weeks and although I always order the straight Timothy (3-string 110 lb bales) the source is from many different locations across the US/Canada. It’s beautiful hay, green and leafy. He loves it, so I’m happy. Since he’s reached his ideal body weight he’s now eating 20 lbs each day, soaked & drained 30 minutes in hot water. I do wish hay analysis was something easily provided, because I’d love to stop soaking.

He has a dental appointment in December, and I was going to ask for blood pull at the same time. I’ve not noticed any reactions to seasonal rise. Even his winter coat seems slower to grow in this year.