Topics

Hidding Prascend

Maria Duran

I need to hide the dose od Prascend in something very very easy to give for the caretakers of Yayo that doesn't get spoiled and can be stored.

A small piece of a carrot or apple would get oxidized very quickly so I thought that maybe having some individual packed biscuits without added sugar would be an easy solution because it is easy to break a small piece of 1 cm x 1 cm and hide the prascend inside.

Yayo has tasted little portions of cookies before so an allergy to egg wouldn't be an issue. Am I wrong?

I know maybe this is not a very acceptable approach for hidding medication but the situation is not either. I need to rely on something they will not fight against when giving medication and the horse likes to eat. Preparing or manipulating foods will not be done and throwing it in his feed is not safe because I don't trust it gets eaten.

Can a small piece of biscuit be fed for this purpose?

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Lorna

Hi Maria,

We use peanut shells to hide a pergolide capsule in. I know you are using the Prascend tab, but it should work for it,too.
We remove 1/2 the peanut,put the capsule in its place,close up the shell, and bingo.
This horse hasn't caught on ......yet.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Lynn

Hi Maria, Prunes (dried plums) work very well too. You can shove the pill into the prune where it remains completely hidden. Relevante was wild for them.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

jen@...

I would be concerned that a prune's moisture will be an issue.  According to my veterinarian Prascend tabs are VERY moisture sensitive and the tablet could not be put into a prune ahead of time.

I am going to try the peanut suggestion.  I have been having my barn's employees use a half of a baby carrot I bore out a hole in ahead of time.  I actually had to purchase a mini refrigerator yesterday to place in the barn to protect the Prascend, soaked beet pulp, carrots and powdered supplements.
--
- Jennifer Haunschild
Sept 2019, Edmond, OK

Space Cowboy Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jennifer%20and%20Space%20Cowboy

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/Casehistory/album?id=96011

Lynn

Hi Jennifer,

I would be concerned that a prune's moisture will be an issue.  According to my veterinarian Prascend tabs are VERY moisture sensitive and the tablet could not be put into a prune ahead of time.

Thanks for noting that. I should have clarified that the barn owner where i board Relevante did not put the pergolide in the prune until right before she hand fed it to him so we didn't have to worry about the moisture aspect. If pergolide doses have to be put in treats ahead of time i would definitely go for Lorna's suggestion with the peanut shells.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio

Maria Duran

Thank you all girls!

I forgot to mention that he doesn't like prunes, it was very late when I posted the issue and I forgot it sorry. I haven't tried the peanuts, how do you close the shells again? I can try it.

Anyway would like to know about a small piece of biscuit because I have the feeling that he will devour it and it is very easy to handle.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Maria Duran

I have a concern regarding peanuts, maybe stupid but is there any chance of allergy like it happens in people?
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Sherry Hite

I make my own flax treats for hiding prascend or capsules. I believe the recipe is on the ECIR site. The ingredients are stabilized ground flax, unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon, and water. They are really easy to make and my house smells like fresh baked cookies when I make them.  I separate weekly supplies into baggies and freeze them.  I take a bag each week to the barn and keep in my small fridge.  I slit a hole in the side, put the pill in, and smoosh back together.  I give the treat with the pill first and follow up with another treat without a pill. It has worked beautifully so far and they are inexpensive to make.  If you don’t find the recipe on the site, private message me and I will be happy to send it to you.
--
Sherry & Pepper, August 2015, No. Calif

Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Sherry%20and%20Pepper

Photo Album:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=5798  .

Lorna

Hi Maria,

WRT peanut shells, I sometimes gently make a crack in them with my front teeth, or with my thumbs.
Half of the peanut,or all of it,can be removed,and the meds inserted. Because I haven't been aggressive when splitting the shell,it closes back up enough to hide,or almost hide ,the capsule.

If biscuits work better for you,go for it.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Maria Duran

Hi Sherry,

Thank you very much for sharing. I had in mind doing the cookies since time ago but just for delicious treats for him. I have to be honest, I am feeling right now quite overwhelmed with so many different things, the most important one the lack of commitment from the horse owner and caretakers and thinking about how to gain more money for him because from now on, the expense will grow more and more, so I don´t visualize myself doing the cookies at this moment, although maybe it is an extraordinary solution. I have to save the idea for later.

I appreciate it so much. The support here is always outstanding.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Maria Duran

Thank you Lorna, I now get the picture. I can try it, leaving the peanuts opened so that they only have to insert the pill.

Any case of allergy in horses with peanuts?

Thanks again.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Bonnie

I am an experienced peanut pill smuggler. Crack the shell carefully to leave one side unbroken, saving the bit you broke off for a "plug". Insert pill, and maybe a bit of the kernel you took out. Trim a little bit off the edge of the plug, and wedge it in to hold both pill and kernel in place.
I always present the peanut in a small bowl so it doesn't get dropped and lost.
--
Bonnie and Lad
North Ontario

Lorna

Maria,if you're going to prepare the peanut shells,you might consider putting the pills into them at the same time.That would make it super easy for the people giving them.
Oh,maybe there's a reason not to. Maybe air is bad for the pills.Ya,I think that's it.
Best solution is to get compounded pergolide in a tiny capsule. But I think  that's out of the question.

--

Lorna Cane
Ontario, Canada

Maria, none of my horses would go near the peanuts when I tried feeding them.  I don’t think I’ve seen that anyone else had that problem but I recommend trying them before purchasing a 50# bag.  Unless you really like peanuts.
Martha in Vermont
July 2012

Logo's Case History:

Maria Duran

Haha Bonnie, you are really a master of peanut cheating. I take good note.

Lorna, yes I thought that leaving the pills inside wan´t a good idea but maybe there is nothing wrong with it. I have never heard here about compunded prascend I am skeptical about any pharmacy doing it here but I will ask, maybe I have a good surprise.

OMG Martha 50 pounds bag? I don´t even know where to buy such amount. I was thinking about buying some in the supermarket and try first as you say. He is quite special with what he eats so I don´t know if peanuts are at the level of his majesty.

That´s why I was interested in the biscuit, I know there will be no problem with that.
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

Sherry Morse

Hi Maria,

If you are using Prascend it needs to stay in the packaging until right before use. With either the biscuit or the peanut I would put one pill and one carrier item in a single serving package for the barn staff to combine right before it is given to him

Maria Duran

Thanks Sherry!
--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History
Plutón´s Photo Album
_._,_._,_

gypsylassie

Maria, Sherry's idea for the single serve baggy is great.  After learning a bit about the caretakers at this large stable, I might be inclined to choose whichever treat you can trust them to do right.   If they might fumble with the peanut shell, the small piece of squishable biscuit might ensure he gets his Prascend.   If he is fed at the same time, his safe hay should be enough to "cancel out" any sugar in the little biscuit.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL

Jane Fletcher

Yes my horses hated the peanut idea too!

--
Jane, South East Western Australia
Nov 2016

Maria Duran

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 09:11 PM, gypsylassie wrote:
 After learning a bit about the caretakers at this large stable, I might be inclined to choose whichever treat you can trust them to do right.   If they might fumble with the peanut shell, the small piece of squishable biscuit might ensure he gets his Prascend.   If he is fed at the same time, his safe hay should be enough to "cancel out" any sugar in the little biscuit.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL
Ok update on what he thinks about peanuts. He smelled it distrustful, took it with his lips and spit it out haha. It will not work and part of me is glad because he chokes easily. I thought about this now.

You are right Laura, it has to be something very easy for them to do and something that he likes a lot because any problem will go against us.

I would appreciate some reassurment with the egg allergy in the biscuit please. I can find no added sugars but not without egg. Cookies seemed not to be an issue in the past.

Thank you very much.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017