Topics

High Zinc in my new Hay

Kath Chase

Hi i have just received my Equi-Analytical test  hay test as have a new lot of Hay.

The test is in g/kg  not pounds the Zinc is 113mg/kg i was blown away as all my other tests have had much lower zinc that needed supplementing just checking to make sure it isnt an error

--
Kath Chase & Micky
Yinnar Vic Australia

Is this the same one that Cindy just shared to Pete's rehab page??

And very curious, you buy liquid pergolide that keeps for two months?

Tried reading back over the reams of e-mails, but gave up, sorry ...

--
Ellen
Pal & Savvy

I see that you had your hay tested with the NIR method which isn't as accurate as the wet chem method of testing. The lab may still have your hay sample on hand. If they do you could have the zinc tested again using the wet chem. They only hold hay samples for so long so you would need to be quick about sending an email if you want another test done. Personally I would have this retested.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

NIR is never used for zinc. It's always wet chem.

Kath Chase

Thanks  for getting back to me Dr Kellon. The zinc was done by wet chemistry. I have contacted Equi-analytical and asked them to re-check it for me as it's unusually high.  It would be awesome if the Zinc  is correct but my feeling is it isn't

NIR is never used for zinc. It's always wet chem.

Kath Chase & Micky
Yinnar Vic Australia
July 2017
Micky's Case History
Micky's Photos

Kath Chase

The zinc was tested wet chemistry Bonnie, but have asked Equi-Analitical to re-check it as is unusually high.

I see that you had your hay tested with the NIR method which isn't as accurate as the wet chem method of testing. The lab may still have your hay sample on hand. If they do you could have the zinc tested again using the wet chem. They only hold hay samples for so long so you would need to be quick about sending an email if you want another test done. Personally I would have this retested.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album

--
Kath Chase & Micky
Yinnar Vic Australia
July 2017
Micky's Case History
Micky's Photos

Kath Chase

--same test Ellen, pergolide is compounded it will last 6 months. Given Micky is on a high dosage this new 10mg strength bottle will last me 50 days  he is on 3.6 ml a day that is equal to 36ml  @ 1mg strength where previously  4mg strength compounded was lasting me 20 days at $343 a bottle compounded .The 10mg strength cost me $685 ouch  unaffordable   But I got it. remember I have 2 horses my other ppid mare is on a low dose point 4 I don't have issues with her she is very easy to manage and is insulin resistant  where as Micky isn't but am going to try a glucometer and check it again
Kath Chase & Micky
Yinnar Vic Australia
July 2017
Micky's Case History