Hiw much starch in grass hay us too much?

Kettle Gal

Hello,

I am having a difficult time finding suitable grass hay this year.  With that said, I did recently find a load that is below 10% esc + starch.  My only concern is the amount of starch.  The starch is slightly over two percent.  In the past, all of my hay has tested much lower in starches - more like .29.

I understand the recommendation about no starches over 4% in hard carrier feeds.  Does the same recommendation apply to hay?

Thank you.
--
Julie K. Wisconsin

Hi Julie,

Yes, the recommendation is the same for hay.  Starch does not soak out so you want it to be as low as possible.