Hoof photo Problems

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

Followed ECIR instructions. Used digital camera . Biggest problem:  dorsal views seems to distort true shape of hooves i.e. look very flared out on photos, much more than in real life (especially RFH).  Tried using cell phone camera but looked same.   Other issues:  1.  Sole view:  taken after cleaning surface with brush but small amount of remaining hoof powder seemed to affect quality.  2. Sole Plane 1 view:  seemed to be too much detail, (like under a microscope) probably too close or maybe camera setting issue.

Do you want to see current photos or just retake?  Don't want to waste moderators time looking at something that's not helpful.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin

Sherry Morse

Hi Karen,

Without seeing the pictures we can't tell you if the pictures are useful at all or not.  What we CAN tell you is that we are ALL guilty of thinking hooves look better in person than they do on film and while there is some interpreation from 2D to 3D if they look more flared in the photos than you think they are in real life - the odds are they are more flared than you realize.  As long as the pictures are as clear as possible, taken with the camera on the ground and include the cannon bone they're probably fine.

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

We'll try again.  Don't have his cannon bone in dorsal or lateral views, just fetlock.  Will wash and dry soles to see if can remove all hoof powder and see if that helps clarity of sole views.
--
Karen B.
Wisconsin
2022
Apollo Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Apollo

Sherry Morse

As he's a draft don't forget you'll want to use panyhose or a leg wrap to pick the feathers up so the entire hoof is visible as well.

a.k.a.petpalace2@...

His feet take after his paint heritage rather than Percheron side so he doesn't really feathers but did trim his fetlock hair already.