How long to get blood test results back

Jenna <morrisjennamarie@...>

So I FINALLY got my gelding’s blood work done yesterday. However this is something my vet sends off rather than running in-house so I now have the pleasure of waiting for the results. Talk about nerve wracking!
My question is, for those who have used a vet who sends off the samples, how long did it take to get back? Usually the turn around time for my vet is pretty quick (less than a week for coggins) if that helps any.
--
Jenna
Texas

Lorna Cane

Hi Jenna,

There are so many variables, but your vet should be able to give you an idea. If not,then the actual lab would be where I would go for answers next.

--
Lorna in Eastern Ontario
2002

Jenna <morrisjennamarie@...>

Thanks, I’ll call them and see. I just feel like I’m driving them crazy constantly calling like I know they have other things to do. My horse has been feeling A LOT better lately so we’re on the road to improvement but I want to know where we’re at!
--
Jenna
Texas
Member since Aug. 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pepper%20&%20Jenna

You need to know where the blood was sent.  Cornell typically has a 4 - 10 day turnaround depending on when the blood arrives vs. when they are running a particular test and how long that test takes.   All the information on test days and how long testing takes is on their website: Equine Diagnostic Plans and Panels | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

Jenna <morrisjennamarie@...>

Thanks, Sherry! I’m pretty sure they use Cornell, I thought about doing it myself and sending it to them but I wanted to make sure it got done right! Lol. I did go to vet tech school for a year and know how to draw blood at least
--
Jenna
Texas
Member since Aug. 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pepper%20&%20Jenna

Starshine Ranch

I have waited over a week sometimes but often it's just 4 - 5 days.  Btw, I don't think your vet can run the test for ACTH... tho she can spin the blood before she sends.  Good that it's Cornell... they are generally the most accurate.
--
Linda in Grass Valley, CA  2020  Midnight and Ostara
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Linda%20Midnight%20OStara

Sherry Morse

As far as I know Cornell will only accept submissions from a vet.  Some of our members have their local small animal vet prep and send the blood after they do the draw but you do need to follow all of the protocols to make sure the test is accurate.

I have a fairly unique situation in that I have a family member who has a Cornell account to draw blood and submit the sample.  I don’t believe Cornell tests insulin everyday but that is discussed on their website.  If we draw blood one day, prep it and ship it out overnight the same day, we usually have the ACTH report emailed by the day after receipt, sometimes even sooner.  The insulin takes a day or two longer.  That is as quick as it gets!  Vets frequently prepare the sample and freeze it until they have several to send and sometimes the results get sent by snail mail which contributes to delay.  We set up our sample draw so that it aligns with Cornell’s analyses dates and doesn’t conflict with a weekend.  In all the times we have done this, we have never experienced a delay at the Cornell end.

Here is a link to some turnaround times for some of the testing we do.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

it's up to your vet's office to specify e-mail or snail mail results.

Jenna <morrisjennamarie@...>

I must be thinking of another place then! I know I read about it somewhere, I think it was here but I can’t remember lol.
--
Jenna
Texas
Member since Aug. 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Pepper%20&%20Jenna

Nancy C

Don't think it was here, especially for labs doing blood work. Please let us know when you find out otherwise. I'd be really interested.
--
Nancy C in NH