How to best use the uckele flavorings

Anna.warzecha4@...

I just ordered the uckele peppermint flavorings to hopefully get Joker to eat his metformin in his feedings. Does anyone have any suggestions to use this product the best. Should I mix it directly with the Metformin powder and then combine it with his feed?
--
Anna Warzecha, MI, 2022

Joker (IR), Coco (PPID, IR)
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anna%20Warzecha:%20Joker%20%28IR%29,%20Coco%20%28PPID%29

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

I would combine with the feed first.

Anna.warzecha4@...

Do you mean add the flavoring to his feed first without any meds to make sure he likes it?

I will do that. As long as he likes the flavor should I mix the Metformin powder with the liquid flavor then pour on feed or just mix feed, flavor and powdered meds all together at once?

Is there a suggested amount of flavoring?

Also, joker currently gets 5oz of stabul 1 with each feed that has 7-9oz of other pelleted supplements and 1 oz of cocosoya oil. Is it reasonable to add more stabul 1 to encourage Joker to eat the Metformin or would this be bad for his insulin? How much more stabul 1 could I add?

--
Anna Warzecha, MI, 2022

Joker (IR), Coco (PPID, IR)
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Anna%20Warzecha:%20Joker%20%28IR%29,%20Coco%20%28PPID%29

Kirsten Rasmussen

Just experiment a bit to see how Joker likes it.  Every horse is different.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History
Shaku's Photo Album

Joy V

Hi Anna,

I bought the molasses flavoring from Uckele to give my horse his pergolide via syringe.  I am using a 1cc syringe to draw the flavoring out of the container and to put it in the syringe I use to admin the medicine.  At first I used .5 cc and he HATED it.  I worked my way down to .05cc and now he loves his medicine.  They're all different, but IMO the flavoring from Uckele may go a long way, I think it might be a titch strong?  :)
--
Joy and Willie (EC/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019

Case history:  Willie's Case History