Topics

How to evaluate body score when parts of body look so different

Genevieve

Rose has lost quite a bit of weight since June 2016. We now see her ribs, although her neck is still a bit cresty and the start of her tail is well padded. Her usual vet evaluates her body condition to 5.5-6 out of 9. However, her lameness vet who came last October evaluated her to 3.5-4 out of 9. What a HUGE difference!

I saw in another post that Dr. Kellon suggested not to look at the head and neck when evaluating an IR horse. What about the tail? I’m sorry if this is an obvious question, but I want to make sure I evaluate my IR mare correctly. Thank you!
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose Case HistoryPhoto Album

Hi, Genevieve - I am so glad to hear she is feeling better!  Good job, you!

Here is a picture (the first one in the group) of where you can look for abnormal fat pads.  Don't forget to check out her udder - it should look nice and floppy, like a couple of empty gloves.  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/album?id=1642
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger

Genevieve

Hi Jaini, what I meant is that both vet evaluated Rose at the same weight and ended up with very different body scores. :-S

So I wonder what is the best approach in evaluating her body score. From your response do I need to understand I should be ignoring any of the 10 fat pads outlined in the picture? Sorry my question was unclear to start with.
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose Case HistoryPhoto Album

Lorismorgans

Thank you for this question, I too have this delima.

Lori

--
Lori  Able & Bodie

2016

Redding,CA

hhttps://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lori%20and%20Able%20-%20Bodie

 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=6053&p=Name,,,50,2,0,0 .

Hmmmm...... that is a good question!  In my opinion, the abnormal fat pads are not meant to be there, and so should not be included in the body score.  Body condition scores are also somewhat subjective, and different eyes will give different scores.  Here is a link to the BCS pdf:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/Case%20History%20Tools/Tools%20and%20How-To%20Help/Body%20Condition%20Scoring%20Guide.pdf    In my opinion, a BCS of 4.5 to 5 is perfect.  A score of 6 is too fat. (but that's just me!)
--
Jaini Clougher (BSc, BVSc)
Merlin (over the bridge), Maggie, Gypsy, Ranger
BC 09
ECIR mod/support
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jaini%20and%20Merlin-Maggie-Gypsy .

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Could you post current pictures?  Need lateral and top line shots.

White horses (and paints!) are difficult to evaluate from photos but from the September shot she looks like a solid 6.5 on that one.

Genevieve

I'll gladly post new pictures, since the latest body picture on file is already 1½ year old. Right now her ribs are not visible at all, because of her winter coat. I should probably wait until she sheds so you have a better idea.

Thank you!
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose Case HistoryPhoto Album

Genevieve

I'm upping this post as my mare is finally back to the weight she used to be in March 2018, after being too thin, then gaining too much weight again, and then going to a weight that looks like a 4.5-5 /9.

Dr. Kellon can you confirm the body score of Rose please? Ribs are easily visible, but she still has a crusty neck and her bum is still slightly round.
--

Genevieve  March 2012

South of Quebec province

Rose (IR)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Victor (PPID)  Case HistoryPhoto Album

Sherry Morse

Hi Genevieve,

I'd put her at a 4.5 - 5 which is pretty much right where I like to see horses.  How has she been doing since you last posted about her?

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Her topline muscle loss complicates scoring a bit but I would put her at a solid 4.5.