How to Store Pergolide Once Blister Foil is opened?

Suzanne and Pilgrim

Hi again,

Any ideas out there how to store the pill once blister is opened? Pill has to be handled 3 times to get 1/4 of the pill. Trying not to lessen its efficacy/potency.
--

Maxine McArthur

Suzanne, I just put the remainder of the pill back in the foil and fold it over, then put it in a sealed container in the door of the refrigerator. As you are titrating up, it is only for a few days that you'll need to do this. It shouldn't affect the efficacy of the medication very much. I use a pill cutter if I need 1/4, or you can dissolve 1/2 in, say, 10cc of water, and give 5cc each day. Personally, I prefer to use the pill cutter, but you do need a good sharp one so that you don't waste any crumbs of the pill. If you use the dissolve method, you'd keep the remainder in the fridge until the next day.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response

I do the same as Maxine, just fold the tin foil over and then put it in the fridge if it's overnight.  I haven't had any that have been stored longer than that at this point.

Tanna

I used to do as above. Now I split my pills and set them up in tiny cosmetic containers.

I got mine from a local dollar store but they look like these if my description doesn't help..
Bekith Cosmetic Containers with lids

--
Tanna

April 2019, (Yahoo Group member 2008)
Langley, BC, Canada

Tula's Case History

ediefr@...

I have been concerned about both light and air getting to the tablets, as I try to figure how how to get my barn manager to continue to hand-feed the meds to my horse without him spewing the tablets onto the floor of his stall, which is what happens when she does it with a bit of grain. She doesn’t pay close attention, and he drops at least one pill every other time, which I later find on the floor if I am the one doing his stall. When I mention it, she gets irked at me. He gets 2 Prascend and 1 Equioxx every morning.

She says that I have to come up with an easy solution for her that doesn’t involve getting the pills out of the foil or the Equioxx bottle herself & that she can easily turn into a tasty treat for him. I found small black Mylar ziplock bags on Amazon that are lightproof and airtight, so I am going to try those for the pills, with a pill pocket treat or a Fig Newton that she can stick them into and give to him. The bags come in different sizes and are reusable, so if I can load the treats myself ahead of time without having the taste of the pills soak into the treat, I will put the treats fully loaded into the bags ahead of time.

We’ll see how it goes!

--
EdieFr
Cape Ann, Massachusetts

Suzanne and Pilgrim

Thank you everybody for your ideas and suggestions. Much appreciated.

--
Suzanne and Pilgrim
Joined March 2019

Just an added note.
When the Prascend packaging is opened, the Prascend ‘magically’ turns into the equivalent of compounded pergolide, which many of us use preferentially.  You want to do the best you can to protect it’s activity but the most important part is to get it into the horse all at once.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

yodatoto@att.net

Hi,
I have the same issue at a boarding stable.
This is not perfect, but the best I came up with:  I use pergolide capsules. Place that and the Equioxx  tab in a very small mini 4 oz snack size air tight lid plastic containers from Glad , along with other dry supplements.  I add Equine flavor fix for peppermint flavoring.  Sometimes Ive used the powdered greens used in human smoothies, to add flavor.
Not 100% the horse will eat the pills, but most of the time it works.

Yes, the pill/capsule is exposed to air...but if the boarding stable worker wont do it individually for each horse, this has been the best method for me.
I'm interested to see what others have to say
--
Victoria , Maryland, joined March 2020

yodatoto@att.net

Addendum: I tried fig newtons! Put them in the little glad plastic containers with the pergolide and Equioxx inside them.   My horse figured out there will pills in the fig newtons after a while, and refused them even as a treat after that.
--
Victoria , Maryland, joined March 2020

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

About the fig newtons (or any food) - not a good idea to put medication inside them unless you are immediately feeding it. The chances of the medication breaking down are greatly increased.

Kandace Krause

Thank you Dr. Kellon for confirming this as in thread it was becoming less clear about the lose of efficacy once opened/dissolved/exposed etc.

Suzanne I have done as mentioned folding back into foil, put in a cool very dark container and balance is being used within 24 hours.  I can no longer trick horse with food treats and must dissolve full 2.5 pill dose and administer within 30 minutes (driving time to barn) in 10 ml of water.  I follow with some unsweetened applesauce to get a bit of tongue movement going, hoping the meds go down the hatch.
--
Kandace K
Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Oct 2020

Frances C

I open the foil Prascend capsule and immediately insert it into a EMPTY VEGETARIAN #1 capsule. (fits almost like a glove) and then insert that into a piece of apple or carrot. This seems to prevent the Prascend from bleeding into the apple or carrot. My aim is to prevent detection via smell or sight. It does not prevent detection via taste if the molars smash the capsule but at least this happens at the back of the mouth.  She will try to spit out some parts but as long as they don't contain any Prascend that is ok. My hand is always hovering over her muzzle to catch and re-insert any parts that do.
--
- Frances C.
December 2017, Washington & California

yodatoto@att.net

Hi, can you tell me how you insert the capsule into a carrot or apple?
I'm  interested in hoping to get the stable worker to agree to  place his 2  pills  inside a carrot. Do they have to use a knife? Thanks...

I've only tried soft treats so far...but he figures out pills are in there after a while..
--
Victoria , Maryland, joined March 2020

Sherry Morse

Hi Victoria,

I can't believe that your stable staff won't do something that takes me about 2 minutes to do (including feeding it to the horse) when I horse sit for people who have horses on Prascend.  Be that as it may, to stick Prascend in an apple you cut the apple into 8ths and then stick the Prascend tab into an apple piece.  It's very easy to stick them in.  I usually feed at least 2 or 3 pieces at a time to help mask the taste.

For a carrot you need one with a good thick end and I usually make sure the piece is about an inch long as you need to cut a hole into it with a knife, put the Prascend in the hole and then put whatever got carved out back in on top of the Prascend.

ferne fedeli

My horse used to get his Pergolide (Pet Health capsules) in a slice of carrot about 1/2" thick.  I used a Phillips screwdriver to make a hole in the middle and inserted it.  He ate them this way for probably 2 or 3 years and then suddenly this year, he started refusing to eat them.  Now I have currently been using Beet-e-Bites Pill Pockets in Licorice Flavor, which he just loves.  I did also use apple slices and watermelon pieces in the interim, which he also likes...
--

Ferne Fedeli  Magic & Jack   2007

No. California
Case History

yodatoto@att.net

Hi,
Well , Just found out this morning, I'm in luck!  The new person working at the stable agrees to place the pills inside a food item at feeding time!
( previous stable worker person,  who declined to do this, was let go, for other reasons).
So, thank you all for the ideas on how to give pills, as well as  the low starch/ sugar commercial pill pockets available.
( I'm at a large boarding stable. I do not live nearby, so I depend on the people there.)

--
Victoria , Maryland, joined March 2020

Sherry Morse

So glad to hear that the new help is not objecting to doing this.

Frances C

Ye Olde Fashioned Potato Peeler is excellent for boring holes in apples and carrots, makes a hole just slightly larger than Prascend tab