Topics

Hypermotility and abdominal spasms

TERRI JENNINGS

Teeny is still holding on. She eats well some days and barely eats other days. She definitely isn’t ready to say goodbye as evidenced by her feisty pony attitude. On Friday at dinner time as well as tonight, she has had some abdominal spasms and she looks tucked up. She has no other symptoms and she has been eating while she has the spasms. She does not seem to be in any distress. She is passing manure, respiration, pulse and temp are normal.  I have been sleeping at the barn just in case she starts to colic but so far she’s had no other symptoms of colic.  Any ideas on why this is happening or how to stop/prevent the spasms. I’m worried it will develop into something painful during the night and she will be in distress for hours waiting for morning. So I stay at the barn, but realistically I can’t keep sleeping here.

Thanks,

--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA

TERRI JENNINGS

My vet came out yesterday. He said the spasms may not have anything to do with her GI tract but could indicate inflammation in another organ. He gave her Buscopan to stop the spasms but it didn’t work. He also took blood to see if it could be an electrolyte imbalance since she hasn’t been eating well and therefore doesn’t get all of her supplements.  Does anyone else have any ideas?  She is not in any distress but the spasms continue. No other symptoms except not eating and wanting to eat shavings.

Thank You
--
Terri Jennings with Teeny, Finn and Elliott
Arcata, CA
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Terri%20and%20Teeny
Joined 2019

Kirsten Rasmussen

Edited

I have no suggestions for you, Terri, but it is good to hear she is managing well enough for now.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History