Idea for more confidence in lab results?

Lynda, Max & Ginger

Hi group!
I’m looking for some input on an issue that may be familiar to others who live in a rural area.

My local vet doesn’t test Glucose when pulling blood for baseline ACTH and Insulin due to the likelihood  it will not get back to the office to be spun down quickly enough.  I respect her reasoning, but if I understand correctly from this site, the Glucose number is also a good sample control indicator for the ACTH number and. I’d like to be sure I’m getting the most accurate results.  I’m willing to run samples directly to her office but it’s a small and understaffed rural practice so I’m not confident the person at the desk can always get to it in the timeliest manner either.   We do have access to mobile visits from a larger practice in the area, they do in-house labs for ACTH and my local vet uses Cornell which is definitely my preference.

So …  I’m considering buying a relatively inexpensive (Amazon) centrifuge thinking that my vet could spin down bloods prior to placing them in the ice chest in their vehicle or my driving them over to her office.  I don’t want my vet to be uncomfortable or possibly insulted if presented with that option, or if it’s allowable for them to use an unfamiliar piece of equipment when sending bloods to a lab, so I’m unsure if is this is a good or bad idea?   Hate to spend money on an unnecessary piece of equipment and/or ruin my relationship with my vet so I’d appreciate any experience or thoughts on this the group might be able to provide.

Thanks!

--
Lynda M
Northern CA

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

The home centrifuge is a good idea and I'm sure your vet wouldn't be insulted; just send a link to the one you are considering for your vet's approval.

Both glucose and ACTH can degrade easily but for different reasons beyond time. The ACTH  sample also has to handled in a certain way and placed in a plastic tube but if both are processed together as required they should be fine in the cooler until send on ice.

Lynda, Max & Ginger

Dr. K,
Thanks so much for the feedback.  Hopefully I’ll have time to send her the link and for her to communicate back before she comes out, but draw is scheduled for beginning of next week so I may have to spring the idea on her and send it back if she can’t or won’t use it.
Cheers,
Lynda
--
Lynda M
Northern CA
Jan 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynda%20and%20Max
Max Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=277238
Ginger Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=278091

Lynda, Max & Ginger

Sorry Dr. K, , forgot to ask how long such a sample needs to be spun?  Vet likely won’t wait around if it’s very long.
Thanks again.
--
Lynda M
Northern CA
Jan 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lynda%20and%20Max
Max Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=277238
Ginger Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=278091

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Lynda,

That's not an issue. Your vet will know. It's only a few minutes.

Lynda, Max & Ginger

Judy and Bugsy

That’s a great idea Lynda!  I’m in the same boat. Test results come back and there is usually a message that there was likely a handling error. So frustrating!

Judy and Bugsy

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Feb. 25, 2020

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Judy%20and%20Bugsy