Topics

Important - Equifeast and any other supplement making disease claims

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

If you have used any supplement that claims to be beneficial for PPID or IR and had your  horse worsen during its use, you can report this to the FDA at:

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm

It is already illegal for any supplement to carry claims it can modify, cure or prevent any disease but the FDA has limited resources to enforce that. Adverse event reported, including worsening during use, may be taken more seriously.

Bobbie Day

Thanks Dr. Kellon
i knew better but I wonder how many people will fall for this. I especially found this statement a bit interesting 🤨

ience.

Please note that there are people who believe passionately that extra magnesium is essential for all sorts of horses. They can be exceptionally aggressive on social media. Whenever we have challenged them they have NEVER supported their arguments with even the tiniest bit of horse based science. Like us they have anecdotes and they may well help some horses by blocking calcium signalling with magnesium. That is using magnesium as a drug which is entirely legitimate but NOT the ONLY way forward. They are, of course, entitled to their opinion. And so are we.

--
Bobbie and Desi
NRC March 2020

 From the blog I linked:

  • Any criticism or questions labeled persecution, conspiracy or close-mindedness
  • Claims of unique insight, ingredients or methodology
  • Instead of showing solid proof, challenges others to prove the claim is wrong – basically unproven as false = true (when the reality is unproven = unproven; nothing more and nothing less).  This is known as a reverse burden of proof.  In actuality, the proof of a claim should rest squarely with the person making it.

If they would like some horse based science, send them my way.......

As an aside here, if you go to the UK or AU web sites you won't find any mention of treating PPID, EMS or laminitis. Their regulatory bodies review claims closely.

Carlynne Allbee

Good point.  I am a strong believer in reporting to the government, for example scam phone calls to the FCC.  They may not be able to act on individual cases, but when they get several for the same source, they see a pattern and more likely to be able to act.

Thank you for this,

Carlynne Allbee

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 08:37:22 AM PST, Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:

If you have used any supplement that claims to be beneficial for PPID or IR and had your  horse worsen during its use, you can report this to the FDA at:

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm

It is already illegal for any supplement to carry claims it can modify, cure or prevent any disease but the FDA has limited resources to enforce that. Adverse event reported, including worsening during use, may be taken more seriously.

Helen Temps

I have left over unopened pkgs of lysine and methionine.  Is it ok to post on site?  Not looking for $$, just shipping charges.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 8:37 AM Eleanor Kellon, VMD <drkellon@...> wrote:
If you have used any supplement that claims to be beneficial for PPID or IR and had your  horse worsen during its use, you can report this to the FDA at:

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm

It is already illegal for any supplement to carry claims it can modify, cure or prevent any disease but the FDA has limited resources to enforce that. Adverse event reported, including worsening during use, may be taken more seriously.

k.wheatley

Hello,
I have an Icelandic with PPID. Is there anyone who can help me with the calcations needed for supplements based on the hay analysis?
Kim

If you have used any supplement that claims to be beneficial for PPID or IR and had your  horse worsen during its use, you can report this to the FDA at:

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm

It is already illegal for any supplement to carry claims it can modify, cure or prevent any disease but the FDA has limited resources to enforce that. Adverse event reported, including worsening during use, may be taken more seriously.

Kim, louisville Kentucky, 2020

Lorna Cane

Hi Kim,

Here's a link to people trained to do balancing.....
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/6%20Diet%20Balancing

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Lorna Cane