Topics

Increasing Prascend

Catherine Browne
 

Hi everyone,

As you know that last time I increased Woodstock's Prascend from half pill to 3/4 pill he got wobbly and neurological so he has been been just getting the half pill. I have been giving him the APF 10 ml daily for the last couple of weeks. Do you think I should try to up his dose to 3/4 pill now that he has been on the APF for 2 weeks? I have only a half bottle left of the APF and either I should try to increase while I have some left...or stop the APF and wait. The vet is scheduled to come out on the 20th to draw blood. He is doing much better tho still limping some. 

Thanks!

--
Catherine

November 2015, Powhatan, Virginia

Woodstock Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Catherine%20and%20Woodstock
Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=103797

Eleanor Kellon, VMD
 

That's a tough one but unless his trim is way out of line I'd say go for the increase and if he tolerates the 3/4, go up to 1.
--
Eleanor in PA

www.drkellon.com  2 for 1 course sale
EC Owner 2001

 

Hi Catherine,
If your vet is drawing blood on 12/20, to get the most information from the ACTH test, you would want to either
a) increase fairly soon so the levels will have a chance to stabilize and you can see where you stand with 3/4mg on board or
b) wait until the day after the blood draw to increase the dose.  If you find that the increase was unwarranted, you can drop back appropriately once you have the test results.
We are two months beyond the peak of the fall rise now so I would think increasing the dose would not be a wasted effort.  I gave Logo APF for several years straight, a drain on my pocketbook for sure but he seemed to do well with it.  If you need to discontinue giving it, I would start it up again a week in advance of increasing the dose.  You could also just decrease the amount of APF until the week before when you bring it back up to 10ml.
--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response
July 2012 
 
Logo (dec. 7/20/19), Tobit(EC) and Pumpkin, Handy and Silver (EC/IR)

Martha and Logo


 
 

Catherine Browne
 

Ok. Tuesday afternoon I have a trimmer who has experience with laminitis and founder coming. I will wait to see what she says on his feet before I do anything. I will keep you posted.
Thanks!
--
Catherine

November 2015, Powhatan, Virginia

Woodstock Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Catherine%20and%20Woodstock
Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=103797

Catherine Browne
 

Martha, Good points. I hadn't thought about being stabilized on the increased dose before the vet comes. The APF is for sure a drain on the pocket book but if it helps Woodstock, I will keep him on it. Based on what Dr. Kellon said, I am going to first see what the trimmer expert says. Maybe the best course of action will be to keep him on half pill until the blood is drawn...then try increase from there if need be. I could stop the APF and start back after I know. I think I am glad to know that I can stop and restart the APF without causing any issues. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks!
--
Catherine

November 2015, Powhatan, Virginia

Woodstock Case History - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Catherine%20and%20Woodstock
Photos - https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=103797