Topics

Initial Markup Request Please!

Philippa

I have added updated photos of Abraham's front hooves to my photo album for mark ups please. The green & pink on the hooves is from thrush treatment. He is still a bit tender on the left front hoof. I haven't added updated photos of his hind hooves as they haven't really changed from August. Thanks.
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Philippa,

Nice start on getting the toes backed up but there is more that can be removed. Looks like you were also able to lower the heels and he appears to be standing on them, so another win.

Can you get a measurement of how deep his collateral grooves are? That will help gide how much more vertical depth there is to work with.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Philippa

Hi Lavinia

Thank you for your reply.

LF apex is 13mm, both rear sides 13mm
LR apex 10mm. Both rear sides 13mm
RR apex 13mm & both rear sides 15mm

I was unable to measure his RF today as he has an abscess in there. I increased his j-herb dosage yesterday- so it seems to be doing it’s thing! I will get those measurements tomorrow. The LF measurements at the back of the frog may not be quite accurate as it is really difficult to get anything in beside his frogs. If anything- they may be a little deeper?

Thanks for your help.

Philippa.
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253721 ;

Philippa

Hi Lavinia

RF collateral groove measurements are:

 apex of frog 15mm
 both sides besides bars 10mm

Thanks

Philippa.
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253721 ;

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Thanks, Phillipa.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Philippa

Hi

Does Abraham need a bevel/ rocker at his heels behind the bars, please?

Also, I was able to get a better measurement of the collateral groove for both front feet beside the bars as his frog has partially disintegrated.

LF & RF 17mm both sides beside the bars. I'm really pleased he is growing sole & there's a little bit of concavity starting to develop. Is there a way to speed this up? (He's already on J-herb)

Also, his LF heel bulb is being rubbed by his boot again & the boot keeps twisting. I'm assuming it is now too big & his heel is too high. I am wanting to get his hooves as close as possible to ideal size before purchasing another pair of boots. Markups would help with this I'm sure.

Boot options for him are limited because his hooves are so narrow. Does anyone have any recommendations for little boots for narrow hooves?

Thanks for your help.
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253721 ;

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Philippa,

Yes, adding a rocker would be helpful as the heels are still somewhat underrun.

Agree that waiting to get new boots would be wise as his toes still need to come back considerably. Getting boots to fit a donkey is really tough under even the best of circumstances as their feet aren't shaped the same way as horse feet. Plus, he has some degree of sinking, which adds vertical height to the hoof capsule, making boots even harder to fit. Similar issues are present when you try fit boots to a foundered mini horse.

You can put duct tape over the spot on his heel where the boot rubs. If it's an actual sore, put a telfa-type pad under the tape before sticking it to the hair. Maybe you could pull a sock over his foot before putting it in the boot to help take up a bit of room + it adds some protection.

Excellent that he's developing some concavity. I know this is going to be a bit tough but is that measurement at the deepest part of the collateral groove? The collateral groove isn't a uniform depth unless the coffin bone is sitting ground parallel. If you slide your measurement tool from front to back along the groove, maintaining contact with the bottom, you will feel it get deeper before it then gets shallower.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Philippa

Thanks Lavinia.

How big should the rocker be please? Would 5mm sloping up towards the bar junction be correct?

I will have another go at the collateral grooves & see if it's the deepest spot.

Thanks again.
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253721 ;

Philippa

Sorry Lavinia, just one more question -

Should the wall bevel be all around the hoof or just at the toe from 10 to 2 position?
--
Philippa New Zealand 2020
Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Philippa%20&%20Abraham  ;
Photo Album: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=253721 ;

Lavinia Fiscaletti

I'd add a bevel all around but make it aggressive at the toe and just lightly around the rest of the foot.

5mm should work fine for the rocker. You want to ease the landing/breakover for him. Also, check the RF lateral wall as it's tending to contract inward as you go from top to bottom. Bevel a bit more of the outer wall away to encourage the foot to expand, rather than contract in on itself. Ditto for the LF medial wall.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Philippa

Thanks so much Lavinia for your help. I very much appreciate it.

With shortening the toes, am I correct in aiming for half the length of the frog in front of the frog apex plus 20mm of laminar wedge to walk on?