Topics

Insulin Bloodwork...increasing

Cheryl Oickle

i just received Jewels blood work back and I am so disappointed. I will update case history again with new results but need some direction please. Currently remains on one mg prascend. Current acth now 7.7 up from 5ish and her insulin via Cornell  has jumped from 83.15 to 122 normal is 10 to 40... Glucose normal
she is exercised to death and micromanaged on her diet. Her weight is stable but have noticed her top line is not as great as last year,no change in behavior, no lameness feet fabulous.

Vet wants to increase her pergolide to 2 mg per day. In Spite of the numeric as above, could this be effective in decreasing her insulin. I will have to transition to CP as this is breaking the bank
Any suggestions would be helpful
--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018

Lorna Cane

Hi Cheryl,

Here is the link to your case history, which should go directly to it (did for me ,anyway)....

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/filessearch?q=cheryl+and+jewel

I wonder if the Top Shelf ( not MadBarn, which it comes up as with Google)) Island Horse supplement could be an issue? I can't find the ingredients but
the starch, if correct, would be a huge red flag for me. It says 42.3%. Sugar is 5.5%.
I have seen it mentioned that there is some alfalfa in it also,but don't know that for sure.

https://madbarn.com/feeds/island-horse-14-supplement-pellet/

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

How much exercise?

I don't see a problem with increasing the pergolide especially given the time of year and topline change but would also recheck that insulin at IDEXX .

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Cheryl,

It looks like you may have accidentally deleted your entire case history folder rather than just the old case history, so your latest case history isn't in a folder, it's just loose in the files.

Would you please create another folder, then upload the case history to that. If one of us creates the folder for you, you don't "own" it, so it severely limits what you can do with it.

Thanks.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR

Cheryl Oickle

Thanks for the response on Jewels Insulin....I had her on Dr Reeds formula two but the iron and molasses were high. My vet recommended this Island Horse. I know the starch is high but it’s gm per kg. I am at wits end with this and have asked for a more in depth analysis from mad barn who does have the analysis posted, which I do not know why they do. Would 1 cup a day really drive insulin levels up?..Sorry  just a, looking for feedback
I have tried her on mad barn amino trace and she will NOT touch it in spite of numerous attempts and purchases  not to say it is ridiculously expensive, 65$ a month on top of the prascend , special hay, etc.
Cheryl

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Hi Cheryl,

We recently looked up the Island Horse for someone else and it is a feed that has an ESC+Starch of 47.8%, with the starch being 42.3% of that total. Those are numbers that will blow the feet off most IR horses in addition to raising their insulin levels.

Cheryl Oickle

Cheryl Oickle

Exercise averages 25 miles per week...lots of hill work. Walk trot ..some canter work. Approx 35 to 40 hr a month
Per Dr Kellon's question

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Lorna Cane

Hi Cheryl,

Yes, it's weird about Island Horse being attributed to MadBarn. Scott has no idea what is going on there,either. But MB doesn't have anything to do with that product.

Can you post the ingredients for that product? Maybe you still have a label?
Am I correct in thinking it contains alfalfa?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Hey Cheryl,

Just a quick question - are you using a GPS or App to track your rides?  Just wondering as that's more mileage than I put on my guy when we were conditioning for 50 mile rides and at an average of 8 - 10 hours a week or riding that's not leaving a whole lot of time for rest and recovery.  I don't know if/how that would effect her insulin so this is more just a random thought than anything else.

As far as MadBarn and Island Horse Supplement - they have a bunch of feeds in that commercial feed database (https://madbarn.com/feed-types/commercial/ is the main link) that aren't made by them and there are various levels of information on them which I suppose is based on what's available.  I'm a bit mystified as to why they'd have a database like that and not have more info on the products on it but it's literally the only place I've been able to find anything about that product online.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

 With that level of exercise, I'd definitely recheck insulin at another lab.

Cheryl Oickle

Thanks Sherry..Need any suggestions for a mineral supplement I can buy in Canada that will meet her requirements then.  She will NOT take the Mad Barn Amino Trace at all not to say the cost of 2 buckets that failed her taste test at 65$ each

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Cheryl Oickle

As requested re Island horse. Please critique... feed back helpful from all folks

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Lorna Cane

Hi Cheryl,

Not Sherry, but I found a post which might interest you,from one of our past members(and a vet),Jaini,who lives in Smithers.
She was chatting with a member from Victoria about some of the possiblilities for her hay.

I can't make the link work to your CH right now,so don't know if you have a hay analysis there,but thought this might help sort through things.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/193130?p=,,,100,0,0,0::Created,,jaini+MadBarn+IR+supplement,100,2,0,1061460

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Lorna Cane

Cheryl? Did you mean to include a link? Or something ?

--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario

Cheryl Oickle

I use a gps/tracking device and so dies my partner. We are in the accurate ball park on time and distance. 75 to 100 miles per month is normal from Marc to Oct for sure
--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Cheryl Oickle

Sorry cant find the link for Island Horse...not to savvy with technology.  Given the feed back and articling from you all i will at least take her off this supplement immediately and reassess  her blood work and go back to Dr Reeds formula 2
which is obviously a better choice. My hay comes from Washington btw from a supplier that tests...esc 7 starch 0.2

--
Cheryl and Jewel
Oct 2018
Port Alberni BC Canada
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Cheryl%20and%20Jewel%20Port%20Alberni%20BC%20Canada

Lorna Cane

Aha !
The nice woman at Top Shelf sent me some info. I am going to include this anyway,even though you are stopping it,Cheryl.

Protein Sources: Peas,Lysine HCl
Fibre Sources: Dehydrated alfalfa, wheat millrun
Minerals: Limestone,mono dicalcium phosphate, salt, copper sulphate, manganese oxide, manganese sulphate, zinc sulphate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, cobalt sulphate, selenium yeast, zinc methionine complex, copper lysine complex, cobalt glucoheptonate
Vitamins: A, D3, E H2 (biotin)
Energy Sources: Oil
Additives: Yeast culture
To be fed at 250 g ( ~1 1/3 cups) daily to 1000 pound horse.

Fibre sources are red flags,for sure.
--

Lorna  in Eastern  Ontario