Topics

Insulin...200+ OMG!

chemelle

Andy's test results just came back today. His ACTH was normal so he must be responding favorably to the 1 mg of Prascend/day but his insulin topped out at the test max of 200! He's never been anywhere near that and all he is getting is supposedly a low sugar (esc+starch <10%) hay. They must have made a mistake and given me a higher sugar content hay?!
I will start soaking immediately and we'll put him on metformin.
I have a new batch of Teff coming in this weekend.
New case history to be uploaded. No wonder he still isn't feeling good. :(
Should I be doing anything else?
--
Chemelle
Hillsboro, OR

Hmmm. Unless he was sedated or you had a sudden cold snap I'd ask that the test be repeated. They may still have the sample. Even a high sugar hay shouldn't do that.

chemelle

I will ask about that. We did have a pretty sudden short stretch of unusually cold weather but I think we were out of it by then and he was definitely not sedated.
Thx!
--
Chemelle
Hillsboro, OR
2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chemelle%20and%20Andy

ferne fedeli

I once had an unusually high reading and my vet asked Cornell to redo the test and it came out much lower.  They apologized, but did not offer a reason for the error...
--

Ferne Fedeli     2007

No. California
Case History

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

To be fair, they probably didn't know the reason - technician error of some sort, test malfunction,  misplaced decimal  point - lots of possibilities.

ferne fedeli

I'm sure you are right, but I have never felt quite as confident in their results as before...

--

Ferne Fedeli     2007

No. California
Case History

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

chemelle

You would think that they might automatically retest a result that unusual though?
I sent the request to my vet but perhaps I need to contact Cornell directly?
--
Chemelle
Hillsboro, OR
2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chemelle%20and%20Andy

ferne fedeli

I think Cornell will only deal with the vet that submitted the test, not the owner.
--

Ferne Fedeli     2007

No. California
Case History

Regional Members Database Coordinator

 - see who is near you

Add your contact information if you want to help out/meet ECIR members in your area.

chemelle

I sent Cornell an email and they will re-test for no charge. Very nice of them!
--
Chemelle
Hillsboro, OR
2019
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Chemelle%20and%20Andy

Jackie W

Following. My pony came back at 202.07 uIU//mL for insulin (glucose at 95 mg/dL) in April 2019 [June 2018: Insulin 98.33, Glucose 104]; it never occurred to me that there could be something wrong with the test, as she's very susceptible to laminitis. Her ACTH was 20.2 pg/mL, and she is not on pergolide. At the time she was on tested hay and balanced minerals, but she just didn't "look" good and was having bouts when her feet hurt. Are there times when a number of >200 can be accurate?
--
Jackie and Megan
Palm Bay, FL

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Jackie%20and%20Megan