Insulin HIGHER on Metformin

barefooted4

I just got my insulin/glucose results from last week.  My 2 minis have been on Metformin since 5/28/22.  Both have insulin significantly higher and I’m stunned.  One went from 174 to 419.  However, both are doing much better.  They are on a dirt lot and strictly controlled diet of 6# TC balance cubes each daily, and 2x/day they each get 1 oz flax, 1 tsp iodized salt and 400 iu Vit E in 1/2# of Tim. Balance cubes.

What can I do?

--
Kristie Brand  2003
Arcanum, Ohio

Trisha DePietro

Hi Kristie. Its really hard to advise you because you don't have a case history for either of your minis.... How much metformin have you been giving them? How are they doing better? What were the symptoms that you were treating with the metformin? Are you sure you have their body weights correct? Metformin is dosed by body weight. Did you start the metformin because their insulins were high in May? What have their insulin measurements been in the past? Sorry- there's just alot of missing information.  And Metformin has a tendency to not work after  awhile...have your minis taken metformin before and you stopped and restarted?
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018

barefooted4

I started the Metformin because of high insulin in May.  I syringe it 30 minutes before meals.  They each weigh about 280# and each get 3 1000 mg 2x a day.  One was on Metformin 10+ years ago for a short test to reduce numbers and it did.  My vet is on vacation.  She was quite concerned with his #’s a month ago and I talked her into the Metformin.  I’m in shock.
--
Kristie Brand  2003
Arcanum, Ohio

Sherry Morse

Hi Kristie,

You need to be giving them 3800mg 2x a day for the Metformin to be effective if they actually weigh 280lbs.  280lbs = 127.006kg.  Metformin is dosed at 30mg/kg twice a day or a total of 3,810.18mg 2x a day.

Underdosing may be the issue here but without a case history that's just a guess.