Insulin under control, but now significant remodeling of the spine

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Last week I celebrated that Ava's rads showed correction of rotation in both fronts and another blood test showed her insulin remains in "normal' reference range.  Yesterday, the vet did rads of her back which showed her back arthritis has worsened and spread. She said she has significant remodeling and although she doesn't like to say it, she said basically Ava has kissing spine.  Her back pain was under control with Equioxx in the past, but she is now on Invokana and can't use NSAIDs.  I tried DC this past week and was gradually increasing her dose, yesterday she had hives (which is what happened when I used DC Plus years ago).  Now it could be hives from bug bites, but she was the only horse here to have them so I think it was a reaction to DC.  What else can I try to give her some relief?

The game plan is to try PRP and possibly shock wave since we can't do steroid injections.  Has anyone use PRP for kissing spine?  Any other success stories of providing relief when traditional therapies can not be used?   She does receive chiro, PEMF, and body work.  Would the Equicore system be worthwhile to buy?  I do plan to do ground work/rehab with her, but the vet wants me to wait two weeks after she receives PRP.

The vet made it clear to me that PRP may not provide relief but she thinks its worth a shot.  I am looking for hope that I can give my girl a happy, comfortable life.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

Did she mention surgery?

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

She did not think surgery would be a good option and I don’t think I’d want to put Ava through it.
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

I would be very surprised if PRP made any difference when you have extensive remodeling. A conservative approach would be liberal application of Sore No More at least twice a day.

Ronelle

This may be something that might help you and your horse with the KS.  I saw a Facebook group titled "NoBackNoHorse".  Since I've been hoping to learn about exercises to strengthen my horse's back, I joined the group.  It turned out to be directed at people with horses who have Kissing Spine.  Even though my horse doesn't have KS, I was welcomed and encouraged to stay.   The group's emphasis is on ground work exercises and how to do them correctly.  Just a thought.
--
Ronelle and Yoyo
2015 Bend, Or, US

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Thank you Dr. Kellon.  Once I receive the x-rays, could I post them and get your opinion on how extensive it is?
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

fullcirclefarmhorses@...

Thank you Ronelle, I just requested to join the group!
--
Heather W in WI 2022
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Heather%20and%20Ava

Sure.